hydroxymethylation

Elitsa Stoyanova

May 23, 2017, 2:56:02 PM5/23/17
to meth...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to run MLML to get the hydroxymethylation levels and then somehow create a .meth file that can be used for roimethstat. Or alternatively, is there another way to calculate hydroxymethylation over a certain interval using methpipe? Thanks!

Best,

Eli

Jianghan Qu

May 23, 2017, 3:44:07 PM5/23/17
to meth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eli,

With roimethstat, you might need to carefully create pseudo read coverage numbers. However, for your purpose, bedtools (http://bedtools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)  might be a better choice.

Suppose the output from MLML is a file mlml.out
You can create a bed file with the 5th column containing the hydroxymethylation levels by the following awk command

awk 'BEGIN{OFS="\t"} {print $1,$2,$3, "hmC", $5, "+"}' < mlml.out > mlml_hmC.bed

Now use bedtools map command:

bedtools map -a interval.bed  -b mlml_hmC.bed -o mean > interval_hmC_levels.txt

The interval-average hydroxymethylation levels are in the last column of  interval_hmC_levels.txt

Jenny

Chris S

Jun 25, 2018, 1:18:43 PM6/25/18
to MethPipe and MethBase Users
Hi Jianghan,

I think this is related to the original question. The MLML output appears to not be compatible with tools in the manual such as radmeth, because the output is very different. If I have 8 files of MLML output (4 control, 4 treatment), how could I approach the changes in hydroxymethylation and have support of statistics?

Thanks,
Chris
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to methpipe+u...@googlegroups.com.

Jenny