Should I remove duplicates of mapped reads (mr) before using bsrate?

Ian Chang

Aug 17, 2014, 11:35:22 PM8/17/14
to meth...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
The methpipe manual only mentioned that chromosome names should be sorted before feed mr file to bsrate.
I would like to know if duplicate-remover is required for mapped reads (mr) when using bsrate?

Thanks.

Ian Chang

Jianghan Qu

Aug 18, 2014, 1:54:08 PM8/18/14
to meth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

It is better to remove the duplicates before computing the bisulfite conversion rate, otherwise DNA fragments that produced high number of duplicates in the data might bias the bsrate results.

Jenny