Version 1.8.5 problem?

Samri

Mar 28, 2010, 11:32:17 AM3/28/10
to metastockcmdlineutils
Salam Mansoor.

I've been using version 1.81 till now, but today I downloaded and
tried 1.85.

On Windows (XP), I'm getting an error with the asc2ms component. When
launched, even without any parameters, it generates the error "The
application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to
terminate the application."

The error comes up twice (i.e. I have to press OK twice to get past
it).

This never came up with 1.81 so I tried to compare the two versions.
With 1.81, the directory MsCmdLineUtilsV1.8.1\asc2ms\bin\win32
contained three files:

1- as2ms.exe
2- libpthread.a
3- pthread.dll (size 791 KB)

In version 1.85, there is NO libpthread.a, and the pthread.dll file is
only 33 KB.

Could it be a problem with the download link? I tried downloading
several times, from different machines.

Thanks in advance.

Mansoor

Mar 30, 2010, 7:19:57 AM3/30/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samri,

Try v1.8.6 and let me know if you have similar issues.

-Regards,
Mansoor

Regards,
Illyas Mansoor

Octavian Rasnita

Apr 2, 2010, 7:04:34 AM4/2/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I've discovered the problem of asc2ms.exe. It is not important if the symbol contains number but if the symbol is longer than 13 chars.

If it is longer than 13 chars, asc2ms.exe creates a separate .DAT/.MWD file for each line in the csv file.

--
Octavian
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4994 (20100402) __________

http://www.eset.com

Santosh Sharma

Mar 31, 2010, 11:33:07 AM3/31/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Still Problem continues……….

Please look in to this

Thanks and Regards

Santosh

Apr 2, 2010, 3:19:59 AM4/2/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mansoor,

I've made some tests, and I've seen that asc2ms.exe doesn't handle well some symbols.

For example, if I have a symbol that has the name DEDJIARONDEC09, if there are 20 lines in the csv file for this symbol, it creates 20 .DAT files.

If I rename this symbol to be just DEDJIARONDEC, asc2ms.exe works fine and it creates a single .DAT file for this symbol.

I have some futures symbols that specify the settle date as -MAR09, MAR10... and if I include those numbers in the symbol, asc2ms doesn't handle them right.

Is there a way of including numbers in symbols names? Or if it is not possible, can you tell us what's the rule for the correct symbols names?

Thanks.

--
Octavian
Apr 1, 2010, 5:21:57 AM4/1/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mansoor,

I have tried v1.8.6 but asc2ms.exe also gives those 2 errors after running it.

But I have an issue with v1.8.4:

Until now I was using v1.8.4, but I've seen that I can't use -r parameter correctly.

I have tried:

asc2ms.exe -i i1.csv -o out -r r

And instead of "r" I have also tried with appendRecord, updateRecord, recordReplace and fileReplace.

The problem is that the number of .MWD files increses continuously on each run even though it shouldn't.
For example, after the first run there are 470 files including MASTER, EMASTER AND XMASTER, and after the second run there are more than 2000 files in the "out" directory if I use the same command line and if the i1.csv file contains the same records.

Can I do something to update/replace the existing records with the new appeared ones?

Thank you.

--
Octavian
Thanks for the new version. Unfortunately, I still get the same error.

Regards,
Samri

On Mar 30, 3:19 pm, Mansoor <mimans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Samri,
>
> Try v1.8.6 and let me know if you have similar issues.
>

> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6_dAJjDDQgwNGRhYjAzYWYtOTEwNS00MmYw...

Mansoor

Apr 3, 2010, 2:25:27 PM4/3/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please send me the .csv file, I'll try reproducing the problem at my side.

-Regards,
Mansoor

--
Regards,
Illyas Mansoor

Illyas

Apr 3, 2010, 3:20:43 PM4/3/10
to metastockcmdlineutils
Hi,

Looks like the issue was with pthread library linking, I have fixed
this. Try this link and let me know
if it works.

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6_dAJjDDQgwYmI2ZTNlZDktYjYwNy00ZDkwLTgzNjctYTk0ZTk0NzVhMGYw&hl=en

-Regards,
Mansoor

On Mar 31, 12:40 pm, Samri

> > Illyas Mansoor- Hide quoted text -

Octavian Rasnita

Apr 3, 2010, 3:52:00 PM4/3/10
to metastockc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mansoor, but as I reported, the issue was that I used symbols with more than 13 chars.

Is the 13 chars length a MetaStock imposed symbol max length, or is it a wider standard?

If this limitation can't be avoided, I think that it could be helpful to print a warning to STDERR if symbols longer than 13 chars are found in the ascii file, and skip those symbols entirely.

If you can't reproduce this bug encountered when there are symbols with more than 13 chars, please tell me and I will send you a short csv file to test it.

Also, please tell me, are there any "special chars" that have a special meaning in the symbols name? (Like *10 for example) Or is just a simple way of specifying in the symbol name that it contains 10-minute data.

Thank you.

Octavian

PS. I've ran the new asc2ms v1.8.6 and now it works fine.