books that shed light on the historical role of physics in metapysics

Mark Tetzner

Jan 11, 2021, 1:43:05 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Hi everyone,
I have heard on several occasions that physics  is not entirely agenda-free and that it is a deliberate movement so to speak to kill everything that isnt, well, physical.
Well, umh, when was physics founded then?
Thats kinda the question.
I would love to learn more about this historical context, I am not sure how to google this.
Even a book would be appreciated if anyone can recommend one.
Thank you.

Santeri Satama

Jan 11, 2021, 2:01:17 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Physics as natural philosophy is as old as human kind. Nowadays the term often refers specifically to the eurocentric Post-Cartesian paradigm, which rejected introspection as valid method of empirical inquiry and preferred almost exclusively quantitative methodology. Historical context of the Great Which Hunt as transition from late Middle-age to New age and Enlightenment philosophy, does not seem coincidence,  but deeply related suppression and rejection of shamanic/spiritual expression from the public sphere.

Mark Tetzner

Jan 12, 2021, 5:53:29 PM1/12/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Ok. Not quite what I was looking for but intersting nonetheless. Thank you.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 12, 2021, 6:56:17 PM1/12/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Mark, check out Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry or History, Guilt and Habit by Owen Barfield. They get into the way modern science and physics has developed and the hidden (or not so hidden if you know where to look) metaphysical assumptions lurking behind many scientific theories, if that's what you are looking for.

marki...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2021, 7:13:30 PM1/13/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
YES!!! thank you.

Justin

Jan 13, 2021, 7:29:15 PM1/13/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Another good one is Nihilism Incorporated by Arran Gare. Available online for free here.