Jordan Peterson and Matthew McConaughey

Dana Lomas

Jan 10, 2021, 11:16:22 AM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Good to see JP back in the pendulum swing of things, looking more fleshed out, with his usual keen mind melding with the engaging story-teller Mr McConaughey, as if the meaning of it all is to create some meaning to it all ... https://youtu.be/y8wBjH8aXw4

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 10, 2021, 3:03:42 PM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Thanks for sharing this, Dana! It's a pure ray of sunshine in otherwise dark times, for sure.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 11, 2021, 11:13:17 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Following up on this interview, I liked that JP asked him about his nihilistic character in True Detective, but even more I wanted him to ask about Interstellar.  I am now convinced with that, "Memento", "Inception", and his new movie "Tenet", Nolan is by far the most imaginative and philosophically sophisticated director alive, maybe in the last 50 years, maybe ever. His grasp of idealist and 'integral' philosophy, as well as depth psychology, and his unusual ability to concretize all of that in a coherent and thrilling dramatic action film experience is beyond amazing. I was wondering what McConaughey thought about working with Nolan on that film and the concepts involved. And if anyone here has not watched any of those films 2 or 3 or 10 times, then I highly recommend doing so. You will not be disappointed.

Dana Lomas

Jan 12, 2021, 2:59:50 AM1/12/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Paul Vanderkay offers some brief commentary on the interview as well, which maybe of interest. As far as I recall, I've watched Inception twice, but the brilliant Memento only once, so may be time to revisit them. MM's role in True Detective is one of my favorites for sure.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 12, 2021, 8:19:11 PM1/12/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Dana, you must check out his new movie Tenet. I would say it's a delightful orgy of all the concepts in those prior movies, but it will for sure take a few viewings to appreciate that. As one of the character says early on, "don't try to understand it, just feel it". It is also speaks beautifully to the 'apocalyptic' sense that many of people may have churning in the pits of their stomachs right now.

Dana Lomas

Jan 13, 2021, 7:31:57 AM1/13/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Looking forward to Tenet ... Brilliant cast, with Clémence Poésy too!  What's not to like? :)

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 13, 2021, 8:52:32 AM1/13/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Yeah, Robert Pattinson is excellent as usual and I became more impressed with John David Washington as the 'protagonist' the more I watched. We forgot to mention The Dark Knight before, with the iconic and Heath Ledger performance as 'post-modern' nihilist. An extremely playful and appealing character, yet standing in opposition to everything Batman embodies.