The different places of self - critique of individualism.

Santeri Satama

Jan 6, 2021, 8:37:37 AM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Indian philosopher discusses Western metaphysical politics of individualism in contrast to Hindu notions of self and person. He notes that as a liberatory philosophy, that individualism promises to be, it has utterly failed and been mostly a tool of colonialism.

https://iai.tv/video/the-different-places-of-the-self&utm_source=reddit&_auid=2020#

Kastrup's concept of Markov Blanket as the social sphere could be actually closer to the Hindu view as presented here, than indivudalism of distinct boundaries.

***

For a fuller picture I attach comment I wrote on the forum where I saw this presentation, even though it's mostly repeating what I've said on this forum:

In my language (Finnish) neologisms for 'individual' (yksilö) and 'person' were artificially created by a single scholar in 19th century for the administrative purposes of the colonizing state structure. How did language refer e.g. to countable number of people without those word concepts? We still say 'How many spirits?' (Kuinka monta henkeä) e.g. when making restaurant reservation. Like Latin spirit, 'henki' refers to breathing. 'Human' is another possibility.

Finnish strongly tends to avoid agentive structures unless specifically needed, in linguistic expressions events just happen by themselves, often expressed by just a verb in indefinite/asubjective person, without any subject or object. It was interesting to hear Indian self-conceptualization as hierarchic node of relations. Before colonization, Finnish society was anarchic rather than hierarchic, and because of how the weather is etc., Finns are highly introverted compared to better climates where extroverts tolerate each other instead of trying to get away from crowded places.

Being introverted does not mean being separated and distinct individual, but it's also different from the extroverted 'self' constructed mainly from the social sphere. The underlying philosophy is being unique (cf Stirner), each event, being etc. is an unique aggregate of relations (cf Mitakuye Oyasin). Finnish animistic concept of soul is tripartite, dynamic balance of Self (itse), Nature (luonto) and Spirit (henki).

From Finnish anarchic uniqueness it's interesting to observe how Indo-European language has taken different turns of how Hindu soul/atman is described as radically different from the metaphysical political project of individualism, both of which carry and reproduce the class society model of ruling class of scribes organizing the work of subject classes.

It might be interesting to note also that Finnish word for 'Self' has also the earlier meaning of 'Shadow', perhaps referring also to the double layered character of metacognition, awareness of being aware for various durations. According to some studies, metacognitive durations grow in size in social interactions of speech acts, which define the usual first (speaking), second (spoken to) and third (spoken about) personal pronouns. Metacognition is most clearly absent during deep sleep.

Finnish unique is not limited only to interpersonal relations, but relates to whole nature. Which is not an external object, but relation of participatory creation, as 'luonto' shares same root with word 'to create', 'luoda', and suffix -nto has reflexive, intransitive character, compared to 'luomus', with transitive, objectified character.

David Sundaram

Jan 6, 2021, 9:58:21 AM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
The 'trouble', which the speaker doesn't address IMO,  is that most 'people' (individuals?) nowadays/still just focus on using ideas for their own purposes, which may be "for 'good' or 'ill'" or just 'gabby-talk', instead of recognizing that said ideas are basically just tools and therefore focusing on the potential for change (growth/development/maturation, etc) of the souls that wield them.

What we need is a more creatively functional philosophy (tool?) whereby such potential for change may actually be activated/inspired and guided, which is what my treatise is about Sanman.

David Sundaram

Jan 6, 2021, 10:08:32 AM1/6/21
David Sundaram wrote:

What we need is a more creatively functional philosophy (tool?) whereby such potential for change may actually be activated/inspired and guided, which is what my treatise is about Sanman.

P,S. Any idea (or critique thereof) may be used for 'good' or 'ill' (or just 'gabby-talk 😀). This is an invitation for you 'Come out' (or further out) of your 'closet' and share what your soul is creatively aiming for and how you think we may(?) actualize that, Sanman.

🤝

Dana Lomas

Jan 6, 2021, 10:12:05 AM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Is individualism the notion that many apparent individuals are somehow other than the sole Individual ?

Perhaps relevant to the dispelling of the spell of individualism, in querying how is 'individualism' even possible once any subject><object segregation is dispelled, if so inclined to spare the time, I'd be interested in takes on this explication of neutral monism from Michael Silberstein ~ who as been referenced before in this forum ... Neutral Monism: Reintegrating Space, Time and Conscious Experience

Santeri Satama

Jan 6, 2021, 10:26:24 AM1/6/21
keskiviikko 6. tammikuuta 2021 klo 17.08.32 UTC+2 David Sundaram kirjoitti:
This is an invitation for you 'Come out' (or further out) of your 'closet'

David Sundaram

Jan 6, 2021, 11:20:59 AM1/6/21
On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 8:12:05 AM UTC-7 Dana Lomas wrote:
Is individualism the notion that many apparent individuals are somehow other than the sole Individual ?

More 'dodge-Life's-ball', game-playing Dana?

Santeri Satama

Jan 6, 2021, 12:50:14 PM1/6/21
keskiviikko 6. tammikuuta 2021 klo 17.12.05 UTC+2 Dana Lomas kirjoitti:
 I'd be interested in takes on this explication of neutral monism from Michael Silberstein ~ who as been referenced before in this forum ... Neutral Monism: Reintegrating Space, Time and Conscious Experience

Timeo Dana-OS et dona ferentes. ;)

Superposition of Einstein blocks has been familiar idea to me from the work of "quantum mind" physicist Matti Pitkänen, who has worked on that approach for few decades. Ethically I consider that theory abomination, because Groundhog universe tastes horrible, without promise of happy end of moving on like in the movie Groundhog day when the protagonist Bill Murray gets it finally right in the judgement of the Big Other.

There's some truth, of course, to the claim that physical is psychological. On the other hand, the variety of experience in this world already does not fit block universe, but goes also beyond.

Dana Lomas

Jan 6, 2021, 1:18:44 PM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Sorry Sunny Dave, but I thought it was good to dodge the off-target changeups of pseudo-pitchers. Start throwing strikes, or back to the dugout with ya ! Anyway, I'm not speaking to Yanks since they beat Canada at the WJHC ... Finns are ok though, since they beat the Russians.

Dana Lomas

Jan 6, 2021, 1:42:46 PM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Santeri ... Yeah, I don't feel much resonance for a dreamed-up block universe either. Nor do I get how MS seems to be denying idealism, i.e. the primacy of consciousness, and yet posits the primacy of an indivisible (individual) 'presence.' Yet it seems such 'presence' absent awareness of presence, is but some abstraction within awareness, surely at the root of the segregated individual that leads to individualism. Back to the dreamed-up drawing board I suppose.

Santeri Satama

Jan 6, 2021, 2:55:26 PM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Yep, there's no real difference between idealism and neutral monism, except the block bow to physicalism and Einstein. Guys did pretty ok job in philosophy, though, it's genuine progress any case.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 6, 2021, 7:29:15 PM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Anti-individualism is a return to the unconscious collectivist nightmare. It is a full embrace of Colin Wilson's 'Robot' -  "The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain." The individual properly understood, respected and integrated is the means through which the New Heaven and New Earth are revealed, the New Jerusalem awakened.

"Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land."
― William Blake, Jerusalem

Dana Lomas

Jan 6, 2021, 11:38:37 PM1/6/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Or ... Conscious interbeing is the way out of the nightmare of the segregated individual.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 5:48:01 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations

Or ... Conscious interbeing is the way out of the nightmare of the segregated individual.

Or ... As the center collapses there is no-thing in-between to separate, which means war or peace. It's a choice. Therefore, act with hope.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 5:51:02 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Or ... The times of 'fences making good neighbors' is ending.

Santeri Satama

Jan 7, 2021, 7:22:22 AM1/7/21
torstai 7. tammikuuta 2021 klo 12.48.01 UTC+2 Lou Gold kirjoitti:

Or ... As the center collapses there is no-thing in-between to separate, which means war or peace. It's a choice. Therefore, act with hope.

That sounds weird, on the surface like political thinking. I associate center with heart. Tight core surrounded by indefinitely extending field. Like Newtonian center of gravity surrounded by gravity field. The ether of love.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 7:38:50 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations

That sounds weird, on the surface like political thinking. I associate center with heart.

It's like saying that passion can lead to either war or peace. Yes, like political thinking, except that it's heartfelt.

Coincidentally, this take on war and peace just arrived in my inbox. Note: I offer it not with total agreement but because it raises interesting perspectives.

Dana Lomas

Jan 7, 2021, 8:22:43 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
What difference does well-practised, integrally conscious interbeing make? Same symphony played by orchestras made up of unique individuals ...

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 8:31:28 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
My purpose in raising a seeming weird  notion of collapse of the center leading also toward possible  peace is that it may force us to see only Mitakuye Oyasin. For example, years of ugly war opened the nations of what became the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois Confederacy) to receive the revelations of the Great Law of Peace. Like you (I believe) I see an ongoing unfolding process that may dance in unexpected directions.

The Haudenosaunee example is especially important because it informed the creation of some baseline institutional forms in the new American democracy, forms that later spread to many places in the world. Here is a history of it and this more general discussion between Chief Oren Lyons and Bill Moyers is one of my favorites. Of course, to toot on my Mother theme, it should be noted that under the Great Law of Peace, the chiefs were to be chosen by the Clan Mothers and, should the chiefs fail to arrive at consensus on an issue, the decision would go back to the Clan Mothers along with the question, "What would be good for the seventh generation to come?"

Finally, here's an interesting recent speculation on the evolutionary role of grandmothers.

Dana Lomas

Jan 7, 2021, 9:13:07 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Seek first the Kingdom, or call it a Queendom if preferred, perhaps the Tao is truly androgynous, for there is no such state as yinless, or yangless, and can only be never-apart yinyangness, yet another name for that which defies the naming which imagines things apart, but it's the same integral state of interbeing,

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 7, 2021, 9:13:57 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
The separated individual cannot last as a conceptual framework, it is living off of the dead corpse of materialism. After awhile, the corpse becomes putrid. Manifestations of a 'connected' consciousness in art/technology and general culture will not escape the next generation. The question then is where will they find their meaning and purpose? The most obvious and comfortable place will be a regression to the womb of the collective unconscious, the negative dominating aspect of the Mother. That is an abdication of in-dividuality in its classical sense, a rejection of responsibility for the evolved Self.

"There is one reality, at least, which we all seize from within, by intuition and not by simple analysis. It is our own personality in its flowing through time---our sell which endures. We may sympathize intellectually with nothing else, but we certainly sympathize with our own selves."  -Henri Bergson, An Introduction to Metaphysics

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 9:28:57 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
The question then is where will they find their meaning and purpose? The most obvious and comfortable place will be a regression to the womb of the collective unconscious, the negative dominating aspect of the Mother.

The Sovereign Queen also manages the manifest household and her dominion can be not so comfortable. According to Mother (manifest) her throne is in integration with and not triumph over the Father (potential) and the Child (creative). The tripod stands straight and tall upon equal legs.

Dana Lomas

Jan 7, 2021, 9:58:40 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Knowing that a separate individual is an oxymoron, I'm good with being a unique expression of the sole Individual awakening within Its 'Self'-perpetuating Dream.

David Sundaram

Jan 7, 2021, 10:32:39 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations

Anti-individualism is a return to the unconscious collectivist nightmare. It is a full embrace of Colin Wilson's 'Robot' -  "The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain." The individual properly understood, respected and integrated is the means through which the New Heaven and New Earth are revealed, the New Jerusalem awakened.

Utopianism (of any - 'individual freedom' or 'conjoint cooperation' - kind) is an unrealistic, i.e. naive, dream, IMO, according to my "Our 'world' is a kindergarten-nursery wherein and whereby 'new', initially selfish, souls may (not all will choose/manage to) learn, grow and develop into completely integrated spirit-beings" theory at least.

There will always be still-self ish, unfully developed 'parents' and social-'leaders' who miss-guide and warp the development of still-self ish, unfully developed 'children' and conformity-oriented 'followers'.

Learning how to 'successfully' (in soul-development terms) navigate and positively-creatively participate in such mixed-bag playing-'field' of Life is the 'reason' for our being here as in 'individual' bodies; indeed, according to this soul-develoment theory at least, it is the 'reason' why 'physical'-body-composed 'worlds' were and continue to be created in the first place!

This is a very large postulate (much larger than a singular M@L at play, porpoising in and out of form) subject, but here's to think about (from my treatise):

"Despite the fact that each and every soul and personality aspect thereof really derives from and so may truly be regarded as being an expression of Life Itself, some configurations thereof are more conducive of experience and further expression of Love and Joy while others are not only less so but  may even be counterproductive in said regard. As the apostle Paul put it: “In a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.” (II Timothy 2:20) So embracing and supporting everyone and everything equally, without reservation in any regard, will not serve to operationally maximize the flowering and fructification of Love and Joy in The Flow Field of Life.

Among other things (expanding the scope of The Tree of Life analogy), because of the fact that still incarnating souls are often, in one way or another, still fairly self ishly motivated, they may also (in many cases quite unconsciously!) in effect function (sometimes quite ‘poisonously’ even) as ‘parasites’ and ‘thorns’ in relation to others. Would-be Cosmic, i.e. Tree-hugging, souls may therefore be purposed (by Love and Joy, the imperative of Life Itself !) to learn to recognize as well as then devise and implement ways of deflecting and educationally redirecting or, such measures possibly failing, counteracting such tendencies in oneself and/or others so as to stop these from being harmfully ‘acted out’, if, when and in whatever ways and to whatever extent one may have the capacity to so do.

The point being made here is that, to become and synergically [continue to] function as a self-transcendentally wholesome agent of Life, one must both learn to perceptively discern what sorts of things will and what sorts of things won’t really serve to optimize and augment the experience and expression of Love and Joy in the self ish-temptation filled context of Life’s earthly matrix, as well as then act wisely (i.e. judiciously) on the basis of such knowledge. As the Biblical story of Solomon’s most famous ‘judgment’ clearly illustrates, there is much more to serving the cause of Life than ‘unconditionally’ embracing and/or supporting every aspect of one’s own or others’ being-n-doing processes.
"

'Integrating' can't be simply, one's-own-or-all-others'-wish fulfillingly accomplished, IOW.

Santeri Satama

Jan 7, 2021, 10:44:38 AM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I really don't get the judgemental opposition against what is best in music, going with the flow. Or against the archetypal womb of sauna or sweat lodge as negative domination (it ain't). Or combination of sauna and music. What is the source of judgement, who is condemning and why?

Borders of separation are a prison, especially if they are supposed to be on all the time, also for an extreme introvert. All this talk about individualism sounds like it's all in the head (never mind heart and guts), all about false sense of control, coming from some deep fear.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 1:06:37 PM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Dana,

Knowing that a separate individual is an oxymoron, I'm good with being a unique expression of the sole Individual awakening within Its 'Self'-perpetuating Dream.

Knowing that there exists a Divinely Integrated Diversity of forms, I honor and respect that this describes the way that works for you and confess that I've never had a dream anything like it. Nevertheless, I grok or perceive or project that we are brothers of the same Mother and like the way you avoid heavy judgements and seem to respect the ways of others. I like especially the never-ending offerings of seemingly synchronous videos you contribute to this forum. BTW, I got around to watching SOUL the other night I really enjoyed it.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 2:09:09 PM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Santeri,

My grok is similar to yours. I also don't get the heavy judgements. It is quite valid to know and prefer one's own unique way(s) but why it's necessary to joust them against the ways of others escapes me. I like the the different ways of approaching the sounds of silence - the poetry of words here and the poetry of place here. Or recently the way JC turns sight into sounds

And, there so much more to revel in.

As Rumi says,
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase ‘each other’
doesn’t make any sense.

Lou Gold

Jan 7, 2021, 6:18:12 PM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations

The Sun Is In Your Eyes Lyrics – Jacob Collier

The sun is in your eyes
The sun is in your eyes
Throw me the cold
Throw me the cold, cold water of your smile again
To take me by surprise
You take me by surprise
Throw me the bold
Throw me the bold, bold treasure of your lips again

And where I go
You lead me in the right direction
With your love is my protection
I’ll be a world of your projection
And where I go
Singing songs of your affection
With rhymes to your perfection
In my eyes see a reflection
Of you

I see you clearly now
I hold you dearly now
The sun is in my eyes

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 7, 2021, 7:29:41 PM1/7/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
"I really don't get the judgemental opposition against what is best in music, going with the flow. Or against the archetypal womb of sauna or sweat lodge as negative domination (it ain't). Or combination of sauna and music. What is the source of judgement, who is condemning and why?

Borders of separation are a prison, especially if they are supposed to be on all the time, also for an extreme introvert. All this talk about individualism sounds like it's all in the head (never mind heart and guts), all about false sense of control, coming from some deep fear."

It sounds like you are trying to make this personal and political after RHC took down the last thread precisely to avoid that dynamic. So I will resist your bait and keep it philosophical.

Every 20th century integral philosopher I have come across, not to mention countless ancient mythologies, philosophers, poets and mystic theologians, warns against a regression to the archetypal 'womb state' and corresponding rejection of the rescuing Hero myth. It seems to me they had very good reasons for that caution. Far from "going with the flow", it is a desire to undo the creative evolution of human consciousness which instantiated the in-dividual, and instead seeks comfort in a world-negating 'group consciousness' which appeals to humanity's worst tribal instincts. Furthermore, if we take the creative evolution of human consciousness seriously, a collective regression of this sort (a dissolution of all 'borders') would mean nothing less than the accelerating evaporation of all human meta-cognition and corresponding knowledge/wisdom accrued. That's reason enough for me to judge it an unworthy goal.

“In these circumstances, when consciousness is insufficiently differentiated from the unconscious, and the ego from the group, the group member finds himself as much at the mercy of group reactions as of unconscious constellations.”

“Thus the hero’s rescue of the captive corresponds to the discovery of a psychic world. This world is already of vast extent as the world of Eros, embracing everything that man has ever done for woman, everything that he has experienced and created for her sake. The world of art, of epic deeds, poesy, and song which revolves round the liberated captive spreads out like a virgin continent that has broken away from the world of the First Parents.”
― Erich Neumann, The Origins and History of Consciousness

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 3:38:13 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Ashvi, nothing personal or political, just sensing some deep misconception and trying to figure it out. "Regress" implies thinking in terms of linear time, where as time of myth is often cyclical, death and rebirth etc. Exclusive contradiction between these need not be assumed either. On the contrary.

It almost sounds like The Womb is here the Dragon - which lives in a dark cavern inside a mountain.

“…only one who has risked the fight with the dragon and is not overcome by it wins the hoard, the “treasure hard to attain”. He alone has a genuine claim to self-confidence, for he has faced the dark ground of his self and thereby has gained himself. This experience gives some faith and trust…in the ability of the self to sustain him, for everything that menaced him from inside he has made his own. He has acquired the right to believe that he will be able to overcome all future threats by the same means. He has arrived at an inner certainty which makes him capable of self-reliance.” (Carl Jung, The Symbolic Life)
https://academyofideas.com/2018/11/nietzsche-jung-myth-age-of-the-hero/

Need I remind that Beauty and Beast, kissing the frog(prince!) etc. also tell about the Dragon and give a hint how to win it?  Knight in Shining Armor riding to the rescue of the Damsel in Distress is just an early stage of the anima-animus integration. We do that only to face the fear of the Big Dark Soft and Moist that has the power to melt the hardest dick. True Self confidence does not come from the hard armor we wear, from defense mechanisms of the ego, from the empathy barriers that sensitivity builds.

What is the Dragon? Can there be bigger fear than opening your heart and letting in all the pain in the world? Maybe there can, but to be able to find and face such, there's the Dragon to fight, the Frog to kiss.

Dana Lomas

Jan 8, 2021, 4:18:50 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Is there truly any going back to the 'womb?"  Whatever it is that's apparently being birthed en masse, however messy and tumultuous it may be, surely seems well into labor now, with the pangs of contractions becoming more and more frequent. Could it be the next messiah/buddha that will be the integrally conscious participation of the sangha ... there's no turning back, so push ... PUSH ... PUSH

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 6:50:32 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
The Womb Revisited, no mention of Sauna though.

Dana Lomas

Jan 8, 2021, 8:19:23 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Does everyOne just want a womb of one's own ?  Ponder too the NDE metaphor of reimagining the trip through the tunnel to the light. As for the gravity of graves, I'm kind of partial to a pyre built of the kindling created by a lightening-struck tree, with ashes blowing in the wind.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 8, 2021, 8:32:33 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
"Regress" implies thinking in terms of linear time, where as time of myth is often cyclical, death and rebirth etc. Exclusive contradiction between these need not be assumed either. On the contrary.  It almost sounds like The Womb is here the Dragon - which lives in a dark cavern inside a mountain.

The Dragon is the unknown potential (also usually Feminine) which we must confront and actualize by 'extracting' some-thing of value. The Womb is the first known, the most well-known.  Confronting the Dragon is pro-gressive rebirth which integrates prior modes of being through the work of the Spirit, while retreating to the Womb is regressive and therefore resists the work of the Spirit.  It is the difference between rendering more of the unconscious conscious and rendering more of the conscious unconscious. We must, without a doubt (or despite our doubts), bear our crosses and face death so we may be reborn, but there is a good reason Jung termed that process 'individuation'.

Dana, I believe returning to the 'womb' is a real danger which we can see manifesting today in certain areas of the world. Think about how we characterize modern devices ('prosthetics') which young people carry with them everywhere, social media' and artificial intelligence. Does it further their maturation and critical thinking or constantly prompt them to cede their individuality and responsibility to a collective and to be enveloped by a morass of superficial imitative behavior which gives them short-term comfort/happiness, but makes it increasingly unlikely they will find their ambition and create something new of value?

The prosthetics are only becoming more and more intertwined with their bodies and soon there could be nothing original left. I don't mean any of this to be fatalistic, i.e. to imply that we cannot imaginatively adapt such technology to more traditionally wise and creative purposes. But that will require much more clear thinking and action in the next generation, many more crosses to bear, as opposed to never-ending comfort and pleasure seeking. It is the difference between technology as formless 'savior' and techne as concrete Art, between retreating to the womb and being reborn (or reincarnated) in the Spirit.

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 8:38:46 AM1/8/21
perjantai 8. tammikuuta 2021 klo 15.19.23 UTC+2 Dana Lomas kirjoitti:
Does everyOne just want a womb of one's own ?

I guess that question is the reason for bringing up Womb Revisited by the SaunaSangha. After a good sauna, people do often actually say "I feel like reborn". But it's mundane, everyday, down to earth, much less so speaking high philosophy with fancy Greek and Latin words.

Dana Lomas

Jan 8, 2021, 8:51:12 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Ashvin ... Yeah, intriguing ponderings re the hypnotic fascination with the electron 'screens' (in more ways than one), and I have to wonder what McLuhan would have made of it all, who you seem to be channelling here.

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 9:07:45 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
When Heidegger says "Only another God can save us" in conjunction with his criticism of technology, it's not far fetched to think of Deus ex Machina. A machine is an algorithm, algorithm is a form of writing. Writing is farmakon, both poison and medicine, the tree of good and bad knowledge. As prophesied by Derrida, writing is now becoming Living Logos instead of just dead and silent marks carved on clay and stone for permanence. The myth of Pygmalion at work, sighing life into a dead sculpture, which becomes the shape shifting Proteus.

Its not about atom (individual) or collection of atoms (collective). Framing our question like that is utterly boring and misguided. It's not about protestant work ethic of donkey and carrot either. That's just the usual usual technocratic instrumentalism and instrumental totalitarianism.

Our question is all about hedonism. More mind-good (mielihyvä; pleasure) and less mind-bad. A significant part of pleasure is avoidance of boredom and stagnation by seeking out and inventing new challenges to face, new lessons to learn.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 8, 2021, 9:37:54 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Derrida's "deconstructionism" is no style, little substance. It views 'boring' language and tradition with extreme condescension and therefore a cold detached perspective from the real world of living myths, as opposed to exclusively abstracted myths which only further ideology. It removes the mythology from the day-to-day forum where people must live and act. Perspectives of that sort necessarily lead to totalitarianism because they sideline all meaningful alternatives for the individual, those which have already been imaginatively approached in the language of religious mythology and its embodiment in tradition. Few people come to mind more when I think of Barfield's prophetic words, "there is a curiously aggressive note, often degenerating in a sneer, in the style of those who expound the principles of linguistic analysis... those who mistake efficiency for meaning inevitably end by loving compulsion".

Dana Lomas

Jan 8, 2021, 10:07:57 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I still feel resonance with a more heart sutra  no-one-is-an-island approach, as inextricable individual><multitudinal process, with one not being apart from the other, for the one is the many, and the many are the one, however unique everyOne appears, and despite the spell of separation.

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 10:25:38 AM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Sorry ashvi, I keep associating the phenomenology of individual and individualism with Agent Smith, The OneManyone. Projecting totalitarianism into the All-Other of individualism sounds like, well Shadow projection.

In hindsight, I read the tone of irony of the post-modern zeitgeist as attempt to keep some emotional distance to the observation that the sky is falling down, as the project of modernism lost self-confidence and justification of offering its promise of techno-paradise, and became empty and increasingly authoritarian and dishonest gesticulation by mechanized NPC zombies of the materialist faith.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 8, 2021, 3:20:50 PM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
No problem. I could just say "unique person" instead, but just like Heidegger, I hate going out of my way to change ordinary use of language because the meanings have been emptied in certain materialist cultures.

That being said, "post-modern" is not a great way to describe the philosophers I am criticizing. There are way too many brilliantly insightful and meaningful critics of modernity from the late 19th to 20th century who traditionally fall under that category. "Deconstructionist" is a better term.

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 3:49:44 PM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
You consider late Wittgenstein a deconstructionist? Though the term is later, it applies well.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 8, 2021, 4:11:16 PM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
No, early Wittgenstein is a deconstructionist. Late Wittgenstein did an epic 180 reversal and said to ignore everything he wrote earlier, to his credit.

Santeri Satama

Jan 8, 2021, 4:22:34 PM1/8/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Tractatus was exercise in the philosophical tradition of system building. Heidegger's term Destruktio refers to the opposite of system building. Derrida inserted the -con- to Heidegger's term to remind that you can't destroy without also preserving and rebuilding on the side, at least as far as the logocentric sphere expands.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 9, 2021, 8:48:34 PM1/9/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
It seems to me the logical positivism or "atomism" of Tractatus eventually serves to undermine that which makes system building possible, i.e. relational and referential language that is not merely self-referential. I think Wittgenstein himself figured that out in his later Philosophical Investigations

So what kind of system was Derrida building? I am genuinely curious because I have never taken the time to try and decipher his writing, so my opinions of his philosophy are admittedly all second-hand summaries.

Santeri Satama

Jan 10, 2021, 5:38:07 AM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Good to have you back, Ashvin! :)

Plato's pharmacy is the only Derrida essay I've read so well that I've read it again. It's hauntingly beautiful, poetic flow of writ about writing with deep meaning. Well worth the experience.

For other Derrida stuff, I also have to  go to second-hand summaries:
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/derrida/#BasArgImpTimHeaOneSpeSecSov

From quick glance at the SEP, "relational and referential language that is not merely self-referential" in the tradition of transcendental idealism (Continental philosophy at large is responding to Kant) seems what is very much his focus of thinking-further. Derrida speaks about necessary conditions of experience being necessarily heterogenous and thus denies the x-an sich as a unity. Self-referentiality contains always the other, so it's not pure. Ie. pretty much same as what Gödel showed. To be able to say more I should read more of the SEP article, and you can do that too.

There's no Archimedean point outside of flow or experience from which to build a reliably iterating system. That's not exactly a new finding, but each generation and language game needs to find it's own way to come to that conclusion.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 10, 2021, 3:19:30 PM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
So I am making my way through that article you linked and have to take exception with this:

"Or, in traditional transcendental philosophy, the empirical event is supposed to be an accident that overcomes an essential structure. But with Derrida’s argument, we see that this accident cannot be removed or eliminated. We can describe this second implication in still another way. In traditional philosophy we always speak of a kind of first principle or origin and that origin is always conceived as self-identical (again something like a Garden of Eden principle). Yet, here we see that the origin is immediately divided, as if the “fall” into division, accidents, and empirical events has always already taken place. In Of Spirit, Derrida calls this kind of origin “origin-heterogeneous”: the origin is heterogeneous immediately (Of Spirit, pp. 107–108). Third, if the origin is always heterogeneous, then nothing is ever given as such in certainty. Whatever is given is given as other than itself, as already past or as still to come. What becomes foundational therefore in Derrida is this “as”: origin as the heterogeneous “as.” The “as” means that there is no knowledge as such, there is no truth as such, there is no perception, no intuition of anything as such. Faith, perjury, and language are already there in the origin."

I believe there is a non-evolutionary assumption here that human experience of the world as such has always been the same and will always remain the same, i.e. there can be no structure of consciousness which did not or does not succumb to the 'origin-heterogenous'. That assumption is in direct opposition to thinkers such as Barfield and Gebser (the latter writing The Ever-Present Origin), who make a very strong case for an 'archaic' consciousness which was ontically pre-Fall, and also for the evolution of consciousness post-Fall. Which then suggests a telos where an 'aperspectival' consciousness or "final participation" reintegrates the ever-present, undivided origin.

Also, even if we go with Derrida's assumption and accept his conclusion in bold, it seems quite clear that no 'system' can be built off of such a conclusion. I would also point out that the conclusion contradicts Bergson's understanding of 'Intuition', which he claims is exactly the way in which we can possess knowledge as such (the 'inner essence' of experience). What do you think?

Santeri Satama

Jan 10, 2021, 6:12:10 PM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
Ah! What Bergson means by intuition is very animistic. Our verb for that sort of intuition is 'eläytyä', from the root 'elää', live. Closest English translation given by a dictionary is "to put one's soul into". However, we need to comprehend this animistic movement in the general context of Bergson's process philosophy. Self breathing Nature, as a triadic phenomenology of soul, contains continuous shape shifting of breathing/spirit that can animate and inanimate between Self-soul and Nature-soul, as well as stay in the doormouth between internal-external. Self and Nature are not a polar opposition, but mereologically indefinite relation as both can contain each other and vice versa, prior to extracting an analytical whole-part relation from the breathing movement.

Whether Bergson explicately says so or not (haven't checked) it seems obvious that this intuition does not breath in separation from holographic memory. Derrida seems to address the question, whether holographic memory is static piling into Akashic records, or dynamic and evolving holomovement. Derrida argues for holomovement:

In order to understand the trajectory of Derrida’s position, we must first attend to its roots. Derrida wrote his dissertation on the phenomenology of Edmund Husserl and he remained committed to phenomenology and rationalism.[7] Phenomenology seeks the premise of pure intuition that grasps the phenomena that appear to consciousness but, even in this basic premise of Husserl’s philosophy, Derrida suspects classical metaphysics. For the purposes of brevity, the main problem Derrida locates in Husserl’s phenomenology is its claim to analyze the perceptions of things in themselves without preconceptions and, based on this intuition, to determine the absolute structures of knowing.[8] For Derrida, there is an interpenetration here that already suggests a lack of clear distinction: how does one determine the structures of knowing apart from the phenomenon? Derrida argues that Husserl moves towards an articulation of some pure, ideal form of knowing that reintroduces classical metaphysical distinctions between something absolute and fundamental (the structure of knowing) and contingent and passing (the phenomenon).[9] The introduction of language and time into Derrida’s analysis of Husserl seals his break from the father of phenomenology. For Husserl, linguistic signs are both indications (“contingently and empirically associated with an external entity”) and expressions (“meaning is immediately present to the speaker”) that are ineluctably interwoven. But, for Husserl, expressions are unrelated to anything outside the self even as expressions remain signs; that is to say, representative of something else. Signs simultaneously bridge a gap between exterior and interior referents and elide the distinction that Husserl is trying to maintain between empirical experience and the perception thereof. In other words, the linguistic distinctions that prize expression (immediate meaning) over indication (contingent external entity) reinscribe the metaphysical binaries that Husserl sought to overcome—mind and externality remain divided.

The rub gets worse when Derrida points out that, even as ideal, expressions are still signs and, as such, must also be repeatable. In his attempt to get at a pure source of meaning, Husserl has simultaneously posited a unique ideal that grounds meaning and freedom in language even as he has conceded that this ideal is repeatable and, as such, is not primary but secondary because it is already repeated! Derrida’s close study of Husserl reveals an inconsistency between ideality and reality, between a self that is self-positing and the inevitability of language and time that requires repetition in order to determine the legitimacy of signs (i.e. their alignment with referents).

Instead, Derrida argues that the self must operate in and through language and, therefore, must somehow externalize in order to repeat, to re-present; it cannot be trapped in a purely self-referential language (what he calls auto-affection). But how is the self both distinct and already outside of itself? When the self speaks, it is both speaker and listener. When the self looks at a mirror, it is both viewer and seen. The danger here for Derrida, as it is so pervasively throughout his thought, is the concern of establishing some presence, some immediacy that could, even in its most fleeting of moments, reinscribe binaries and metaphysics—an absolute difference between interior and exterior, self and other, and not allow the tension to remain. A pure continuity of the self as rooted in Descartes’ cogito, for example, throughout time would be discounted because it cannot account for the self’s inevitable grounding in language. However, language as pure “otherness” would lock something original and different into a relation wherein they could be tracked, and therefore, an analogy would start to emerge.[10]

And it is here that we arrive at arguably the most fundamental (and fundamentally difficult to define) element of Derrida’s philosophy: différance. Quite literally, différance is no-thing, no intelligibility, a constantly encountered impossibility that is the source of deconstruction and the re-presenting of the self that must be deconstructed over and over again.[11] We inevitably operate in and through language and history and, for Derrida, it is not that language is strictly conventional but neither is it pure or metaphysical—the iterability of language as it shifts between contexts reveals continuity alongside the destabilization inherent to language itself. A word can only mean something if it can be repeated in another context which means that the very use of the word relies on something that is not the word, on time and difference, that both makes the word possible and also makes it impossible. Writing, for Derrida, is more primary than speaking not in a literal sense but in the sense that language is radically embedded in inherited traditions, systems of meaning, and webs of relation that determine the nexus of meaning before the person speaks it. And not just before the person speaks it, but when the person speaks she is already so thoroughly enmeshed in this complexity of relations of meaning that instability, polysemy, and iterability are endless. The temporal dimension of reality creates destabilizing differences that are neither entirely distinct nor the same and can never find themselves apart from or before language. Language points to an origin outside of itself that drives the other-ing but that it can never get at or reveal. Meaning derives from the synthesis of continuity and difference inseparably bound with différance.[12] Derrida is not attempting to redefine (or un-define) each and every concept and word but to inscribe any and all concepts, language, things, whatever into this continuous/discontinuous play of différance.

https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/derrida-politics-and-the-little-way/

We should comprehend 'language' here very generally, corresponding to the Nature-aspect of Self-breathing-Nature. Singing into being and being bursting into song. We start our songs of Birth/Origin by invoking Nature, inviting Nature to intuit "self-an-sich" ;) and put it's soul aspect into the Self-singer - to possess and inspire a recreation of Nature-self. Recreation is neither absolute break nor permanence, but "différance" as short for Divinely Integrated Differentiation.

Divinely Integrated is the immanence. Differentiation is the transcendence. Derrida was a deep mystic and mythologer, writing-reading the ineffable in the textual tradition of transcendental idealism, differentiating and deconstructing it by his creative participation.

There's no support for the view that Derrida considered "human experience of the world as such has always been the same and will always remain the same", on the contrary. His participation in evolution of consciousness was conscious of the evolution, and there for deeply and highly ethical path-finding in the ways of the heart.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 10, 2021, 8:39:03 PM1/10/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I think it is worth remembering that the core criticism of Derrida from various other philosophical thinkers has never been that he wasn't an insightful philosopher who explored interesting avenues of thought. The criticism is that his explorations led him to a faulty conclusion which inevitably puts us on a path towards rationalist and totalizing perspectives on various dimensions of our existence. Most would say those dimensions are capable of at least re-presenting transcendent meaning, like religious mythology, poetry, music, art, etc. Once we abandon that conclusion, we are only a stone's throw away from radical totalitarian policy and/or nihilism.

In whatever way Bergson meant 'Intuition', his meaning was not aligned with Derrida's conclusion -  there is no knowledge as such, there is no truth as such, there is no perception, no intuition of anything as such. So unless the author of that article is misrepresenting Derrida's conclusion (which is possible), there is a fundamental incongruency there between him and most (if not all) transcendental idealists, process philosophers, existential/phenomenological philosophers, integral philosophers and otherwise unclassified thinkers like Jung.  The one common theme between all these thinkers is that they were challenging philosophies which embraced logical positivism and rationalism, and it seems Derrida was at least comfortable with the latter.

"Derrida was a deep mystic and mythologer, writing-reading the ineffable in the textual tradition of transcendental idealism, differentiating and deconstructing it by his creative participation.

"There's no support for the view that Derrida considered "human experience of the world as such has always been the same and will always remain the same", on the contrary. His participation in evolution of consciousness was conscious of the evolution, and there for deeply and highly ethical path-finding in the ways of the heart. "

I just don't see it. Here is an article which purports to lay out 'presuppositions' of Derrida's philosophy:

1. Western thought and language have always had a fixed centre in absolute truth. This places limits on what it is possible to think or believe. It provides a foundation for being (ie what we are), and for knowing (ie how we think). Absolute truth provides certainties.

2. However Derrida’s underlying assumption (which this essay does not explore) is that there is no God in the equation to guarantee such absolutes, and hence ideas about certainty are now ruptured. He concludes that any idea of a fixed centre was only a structure of power imposed on us by our past or by institutions of society, and does not in reality exist at all.

3. Hence for Derrida there is no ultimate reality, no God outside the system to which everyone and everything relates. Instead the only relationships that we can know are within the system of the world which Derrida calls discourses. For him ultimate reality is only a series of these discourses.

4. Because there is no fixed centre, there should no longer be any limits on what it is possible to think or believe. We should literally be able to think anything. We can be playful and flexible about the way we think, when we realise that “truth” and “falsehood” are simply wrong distinctions to make. Indeed they are just a destructive and harmful manifestation of that power structure.

5. Therefore we must stop considering everything in life, culture and thought in relation to absolute truth. To not do so is, for Derrida, oppressive and immoral.

The real question for me is whether the author's "always", "only" and "just" are inaccurate additions for effect or whether they are inevitable conclusions of Derrida's rationalist arguments.

Santeri Satama

Jan 11, 2021, 12:48:59 AM1/11/21
maanantai 11. tammikuuta 2021 klo 3.39.03 UTC+2 ashvi...@gmail.com kirjoitti:
In whatever way Bergson meant 'Intuition', his meaning was not aligned with Derrida's conclusion -  there is no knowledge as such, there is no truth as such, there is no perception, no intuition of anything as such. So unless the author of that article is misrepresenting Derrida's conclusion (which is possible), there is a fundamental incongruency there between him and most (if not all) transcendental idealists, process philosophers, existential/phenomenological philosophers, integral philosophers and otherwise unclassified thinkers like Jung.

 It's the same old anatman conclusion, which is expressed in many different ways by various philosophers and wisdom traditions. "An-sich" and "as-such" have same meaning with "atman" in the Derrida-Buddhism bridge, which was not left unnoticed by Buddhists.

I just don't see it.

I intuit it. I extend my soul in it. I don't externalize Bergson and intuition, or Derrida and deconstruction. I'm a professional translator and that's how it works. The "black box" where translating ultimately happens.

But I do reject the article by that fundamentalist Bible thumper, it's not a welcome contribution to this philosophical discussion, I consider it not only ignorant, but hostile and thus ignorant and dishonest on purpose. Dogmatic religion is as bad as dogmatic metaphysics and dogmatic political ideology. It's the end of discussion.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 11, 2021, 8:03:59 AM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I am no fan of dogmatic anything, including religion and metaphysics. I also think it's good and often necessary for philosophers to have high expectations of their readers and push said readers to start thinking from a different frame of reference, questioning their own underlying motivations and biases, etc. (Jung is a great example of doing this well). Derrida, however, is as dogmatic as they come. There is no system of thought more dogmatic than that which asserts a deconstruction of Western metaphysics is the final nail in the coffin of all metaphysics, and that totalizing relativism is the end of the metaphysical story.

Derrida's arguments are simply the inevitable cashing out of rationalism and modernism in disguise (albeit a very good disguise). He contradicts the very heart of idealist philosophy, i.e. that all reality is conscious activity and therefore an absolute link must exist between conscious activity and the language which it produced to explore itself. It also goes against the heart of Darwinian science and pragmatism, i.e. that metaphysical 'systems' (using that term loosely) which have worked to continue the species and advance its culture are True in a fundamental sense, even if our limited minds cannot understand how it all aligns yet and perhaps never will.

There is a difference between exploring the unknown, the mysterious, the ineffable, and making the state of unknowing absolute (which is also self-defeating). What Western metaphysics did at its best, i.e. in scholastic theology, was to recognize that the unknowable can and has been approached through ancient mythology and corresponding incipient philosophies. This notion was revisited very insightfully by various late 19th century to early 20th century thinkers. I still don't see (or intuit) any way to avoid the conclusion that Derrida was attempting (perhaps unconsciously) to undo all of that and put no substance or process of value to humanity in its place. Which, again, is the inevitable cashing out of rationalism and modernism in "post-modern" disguise.

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 11, 2021, 8:10:23 AM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
" It's the same old anatman conclusion, which is expressed in many different ways by various philosophers and wisdom traditions. "An-sich" and "as-such" have same meaning with "atman" in the Derrida-Buddhism bridge, which was not left unnoticed by Buddhists."

I can't really speak to this, but I remember Scott had referenced a book about this Derrida and Buddhism connection before, Derrida on the Mend.  Maybe he can speak to that more.

Scott Roberts

Jan 11, 2021, 5:57:56 PM1/11/21
On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 3:10:23 AM UTC-10 ashvi...@gmail.com wrote:
" It's the same old anatman conclusion, which is expressed in many different ways by various philosophers and wisdom traditions. "An-sich" and "as-such" have same meaning with "atman" in the Derrida-Buddhism bridge, which was not left unnoticed by Buddhists."

I can't really speak to this, but I remember Scott had referenced a book about this Derrida and Buddhism connection before, Derrida on the Mend.  Maybe he can speak to that more.

Here is a copy-and-paste of what I wrote:

"Well, Nagarjuna is one of those who has been made "accessible" in various conflicting ways -- as a nihilist, as a "shut-up-and-meditate" sort, and as a kind of early post-modernist. My main access to him came from Robert Magliola's Derrida on the Mend. It consists of four parts (plus a "Pre/Face" which I recommend passing over, as it a bunch of post-modernist style word-play). Part I gives an overview of Derrida. Part II (which I tended to skip on re-reading) on Heidegger. Then the meat in Part III, where he argues that Nagarjuna "mends" Derrida. Derrida rejects mystical philosophy, in that it posits a fundamental Origin with names like "Emptiness", or "Pure Awareness", or "the One", and that, according to Derrida, is just a more refined form of logocentric totalizing (or some such phraseology). Magliola makes a distinction between what he calls "centric zen" and "differential zen" (where "zen" can be taken as a stand-in for mystical philosophy/practice in general). Centric zen does fall under Derrida's criticism, but differential zen does not, and, says Magliola, that is what Nagarjuna preaches. Differential zen is what I call tetralemmic polarity -- one's mind cannot settle on an understandable answer. Or as (I think) Augustine said "if you understand it, you're wrong". Which leads me to Part !V, where Magliola (a Catholic theologian) applies this attitude to the major "mysteries" of Christian doctrine, like the Trinity and the dual nature of Christ. He argues that the magisterium of the Church did a proper job, back in the fourth and fifth centuries, of declaring heretical any understandable solution to these mysteries (e.g., docetism, arianism, tri-theism, modalism). Although I am not directly concerned with these issues, not being a Christian theologian, I found this discussion quite interesting. "

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 11, 2021, 7:02:22 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I found this Mishlove interview with Jorjani to be very interesting and helpful to get a broad sense of 'post-modern' philosophy  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZhE8zN6aU&t=666s

"Jason Reza Jorjani, PhD, is a philosopher and author of Prometheus and Atlas, World State of Emergency, Lovers of Sophia, and Novel Folklore: The Blind Owl of Sadegh Hedayat. Here he maintains that Martin Heidegger is the father of postmodern philosophy -- and Friedrich Nietzsche is its grandfather. As a reaction against association with Naziism, French postmodern philosophers made an effort to derive postmodern theories from the work of Karl Marx. In virtually all variations, the central theme of postmodernism is that there are no bedrock nor central truths. Jorjani describes how his own work has been influenced by postmodern thought."

The idea that the French postmodern philosophers reacted to Nietzsche/Heidegger association with Nazism by taking a major philosophical detour to 'distance themselves' is also echoed in another philosophical lecture on Derrida I came across. I find it pretty convincing, because you can sense that large and frustrating chasm just from reading the latter and trying (mostly in vain) to read the former (although Foucault and Sartre are not too bad).

Santeri Satama

Jan 11, 2021, 7:55:29 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
The Daddy is late Wittgenstein, according to Lyotard and his Post-modern condition, which coined the term in philosophy. Wiki:

According to his 1979 The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, the impact of the postmodern condition was to provoke skepticism about universalizing theories. Lyotard argues that we have outgrown our needs for metanarratives (French: métarécits) due to the advancement of techniques and technologies since World War II. He argues against the possibility of justifying the narratives that bring together disciplines and social practices, such as science and culture; "the narratives we tell to justify a single set of laws and stakes are inherently unjust."[32] A loss of faith in metanarratives has an effect on how we view science, art, and literature. Little narratives have now become the appropriate way for explaining social transformations and political problems. Lyotard argues that this is the driving force behind postmodern science. As metanarratives fade, science suffers a loss of faith in its search for truth, and therefore must find other ways of legitimating its efforts. Connected to this scientific legitimacy is the growing dominance for information machines. Lyotard argues that one day, in order for knowledge to be considered useful, it will have to be converted into computerized data. Years later, this led him into writing his book The Inhuman, published in 1988, in which he illustrates a world where technology has taken over.

Most famously, in La Condition postmoderne: Rapport sur le savoir (The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge) (1979), he proposes what he calls an extreme simplification of the "postmodern" as an 'incredulity towards meta-narratives'.[34] These meta-narratives—sometimes 'grand narratives'—are grand, large-scale theories and philosophies of the world, such as the progress of history, the knowability of everything by science, and the possibility of absolute freedom. Lyotard argues that we have ceased to believe that narratives of this kind are adequate to represent and contain us all. He points out that no one seemed to agree on what, if anything, was real and everyone had their own perspective and story.[35] We have become alert to difference, diversity, the incompatibility of our aspirations, beliefs and desires, and for that reason postmodernity is characterised by an abundance of micronarratives.[36] For this concept Lyotard draws from the notion of 'language-games' found in the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein. Lyotard notes that it is based on mapping of society according to the concept of the language games.[37]

Ashvin Pandurangi

Jan 11, 2021, 9:01:43 PM1/11/21
to Metaphysical Speculations
I like the way Lyotard explains it (and the criticisms on his Wiki page make me like him even more). Late Heidegger, Late Wittgenstein, Jung throughout... these are 'post-moderns' I am also really drawn towards. Heidegger and Jung especially, because I believe they picked up on the evolution of consciousness as opposed to the evolution of ideas. I am becoming increasingly convinced that this distinction is at the root of the issue, i.e. post-moderns who deconstruct meta-narratives without restoration versus post-moderns who deconstruct meta-narratives precisely so they can rehabilitate meta-meta-narratives.

It is the difference between 'logical atomism' which pursues ever smaller meta-narratives until there is nothing left, like the human increasingly replaced by mechanized 'information machines', and 'integral' philosophy which imagines a seat for all proceeding eras of metaphysical genius at the table in a newly balanced organism. As usual, Barfield captures it best (from his 1979 chapter on the evolution of consciousness is History, Guilt and Habit):

"Let me pause for a moment, before proceeding, upon this obsessive confusion between distinguishing and dividing. I call it an obsession because I see it as one of those ingrained habits of thought, of which it is difficult to say whether they are conscious or unconscious. It is that mental habit (and this also is something which Coleridge perceived so clearly) that has been both cause and effect of the whole direction taken by natural science since the Scientific Revolution; I mean the concentration of attention always on smaller and smaller units - molecules, atoms, neurons, genes, hormones, etc. - as the only direction in which advancing knowledge can proceed...like space itself, technology and manipulation are not the be-all and end-all... in any case their usefulness for the study of such matters as history and evolution is, to say the least of it, marginal.
He [William James] demonstrated that such a man [with only perception and no thought] would perceive nothing, or what James called 'a blooming, buzzing confusion'. Well, he was only expressing in his own blunt way the conclusion which is always arrived at by all who make the same attempt, whether philosophers, psychologists, neurologists, or physicists. Unfortunately it is also a conclusion which is commonly forgotten by the same philosophers, psychologists, neurologists, and physicists almost as soon as it has been arrived at; or certainly as soon as they turn their minds to other matters - such as history or evolution - but which I personally decline to forget. I mean the conclusion, the irrefragable consensus, that what we perceive is structurally inseparable from what we think." (emphasis in original)