How to normalize distance

guojun wu

Sep 22, 2019, 5:12:52 PM9/22/19
to MetaPhlAn-users
Hi all,

I am reading the paper "Mother-to-Infant Microbial Transmission from Different Body Sites Shapes the Developing Infant Gut Microbiome", which used MetaPhlAn and StrainPhlAn.

In this paper,"Comparison among different trees was performed by normalizing distances in each tree by its median value. Finally, strain distance for any pair of samples was defined as the normalized phylogenetic distance on the corresponding tree". The authors (including StrainPhlAn authors) normalized distances in each tree by its median value. I am confused how to do it based on the RAxML tree file from StrainPhlAn. Does anyone know more details?  Thank you!

Francesco Asnicar

Oct 6, 2019, 5:45:37 AM10/6/19
to guojun wu, MetaPhlAn-users
Hi,

The idea is that since each phylogenetic tree will have a different height, so you need to define a way to normalize the tree to set a threshold that will hold for any phylogeny. From the tree computed by RAxML, you can compute the median of the pairwise phylogenetic distances within the tree and use that as a normalization factor. That was then used to define the strain distance.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks,
Francesco

guojun wu

Oct 6, 2019, 10:31:59 AM10/6/19
to MetaPhlAn-users
Hi Francesco,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I am not familiar with median normalization. When you say "as a normalization factor", do you mean (pairwise phylogenetic distances)/median(distance)?

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 11:12 PM guojun wu <wuguo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I am reading the paper "Mother-to-Infant Microbial Transmission from Different Body Sites Shapes the Developing Infant Gut Microbiome", which used MetaPhlAn and StrainPhlAn.

In this paper,"Comparison among different trees was performed by normalizing distances in each tree by its median value. Finally, strain distance for any pair of samples was defined as the normalized phylogenetic distance on the corresponding tree". The authors (including StrainPhlAn authors) normalized distances in each tree by its median value. I am confused how to do it based on the RAxML tree file from StrainPhlAn. Does anyone know more details?  Thank you!

Francesco Asnicar

Nov 24, 2019, 4:41:59 PM11/24/19
to guojun wu, MetaPhlAn-users
Hi, yes, that's right. Each pairwise phylogenetic distance divided by the median of all pairwise phylogenetic distances.

Best,
Francesco

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/metaphlan-users/071ec54d-e130-4646-ab2f-920747245190%40googlegroups.com.