re taxonomic information in the metaphlan database

KM Tsui

Feb 11, 2020, 11:00:40 AM2/11/20
to MetaPhlAn-users
Hello,

I have downloaded the metaphlan database <mpa_v296_CHOCOPhlAn_201901.fna> in order to use the "marker " sequences for oligo design.
But the sequences have no taxonomic information, such as family and genera ...
How can I find those information or did I download the complete database?

I will appreciate for some advice. Thanks,

regards,
Clement

Francesco Beghini

Feb 14, 2020, 8:16:05 AM2/14/20
to KM Tsui, MetaPhlAn-users
Hi Clement,
Each marker has included in the id the NCBI taxonomy id of the species (e.g. 671232__F5U0A1__C6A26_01825 --> 671232 is the taxid).
You can get also the full lineage from the pkl file after loading it into a (i)python session and looking into the 'markers' section.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Best,
Francesco

Francesco Beghini
PhD Student - Laboratory of Computational Metagenomics
Department of Cellular, Computational and Integrative Biology - CIBIO
University of Trento