Suggestion to unify Ironic and BMO manifests

Lennart Jern

Jun 15, 2022, 8:06:27 AM6/15/22
to Metal3 Development List
Hi!
A couple of weeks ago I created a PR to unify the BMO and Ironic deployment manifests: https://github.com/metal3-io/baremetal-operator/pull/1126
The Ironic kustomizations used envsubst to set the nameprefix, while BMO was using the built in feature in kustomize. To unify them and simplify the deploy script a bit, the Ironix kustomizations w...

I previously mentioned this on slack, but wanted to send it also here to make sure people are aware of what I'm suggesting.

The gist is that for Ironic we were using envsubst to set the name prefix, while for BMO we were using a kustomize feature to do the same. The PR makes them both use kustomize for this.
I have compared the manifests that we get from the deploy script before and after this patch and there are some minor changes. These come from the fact that kustomize applies the name prefix to all configmaps, secrets and labels. Some of these did not have the prefix before.
If you are using these manifests and/or the deploy script, please take a look at this and let me know if you think this would break things for you!

This breaks CAPM3 v1alpha4 (which is deprecated). The issue is that Ironic ends up in the wrong namespace. It is easily solve by copying the ironic-cacert secret to the namespace where BMO is running (capm3-system) or making changes to the Ironic manifests. However, v1alpha4 is no longer supported so I'm a bit hesitant to add something specific to that version.

In addition to this, v1alpha4 uses Kubernetes v1.21, which is EOL in just a few weeks. So it makes sense to not focus on this old version in my opinion. But of course, let me know if there are objections!

Best regards,
Lennart Jern