Introducing new apiVersion for CAPM3 to support CAPI v1beta1 apiVersion

Kashif Khan

Oct 11, 2021, 5:16:00 AM10/11/21
to Metal3 Development List
Hi,

Cluster API has released v1beta1 APIs and with that the first production ready release of CAPI. Now as a provider if we want to support the same, we must introduce a new API version for CAPM3. Now the question is, how shall we proceed this? There are a couple of ways we can do that:
  • We introduce a new v1alphaX apiVersion to support v1beta1 of CAPI
  • We introduce v1beta1 for CAPM3 as well to support the same
How shall we proceed in this regard, especially when we have the term tagged as production ready release. Thoughts, comments , suggestions?
We have a tracking issue in CAPM3 where we are discussing the changes needed.

BR
Kashif Khan

Zane Bitter

Oct 11, 2021, 10:44:03 AM10/11/21
to metal...@googlegroups.com
On 11/10/21 05:15, Kashif Khan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cluster API has releasedv1beta1
> <https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/cluster-api/releases/tag/v1.0.0>APIs
> and with that the first production ready release of CAPI. Now as a
> provider if we want to support the same, we must introduce a new API
> version for CAPM3. Now the question is, how shall we proceed this? There
> are a couple of ways we can do that:
>
> * We introduce a new v1alphaX apiVersion to support v1beta1 of CAPI
> * We introduce v1beta1 for CAPM3 as well to support the same

My 2c: I think the answer is not to worry about the maturity of the CAPI
and think only about the maturity of the CAPM3. We certainly couldn't
have released a beta of CAPM3 earlier, with the CAPI still in alpha. Now
with that constraint removed, are the CRD interfaces in CAPM3
sufficiently stable that you'd be willing to call them a beta, or might
they need more time to bed in? It's fine if the answer is the latter,
especially since there are presumably changes in the latest version of
CAPI that will have to be accommodated.

cheers,
Zane.