Supported drivers update

Dmitry Tantsur

Mar 11, 2024, 12:04:00 PMMar 11
to Metal3 Development List
Hi folks,

I would like to propose certain updates to the drivers supported by BMO. Some of these changes are inevitable because of the evolution upstream, some are done to streamline the set of drivers. Here goes:

1) ibmc is deprecated in Ironic. The driver was written by a contractor, and we don't have any other contacts. It's Redfish based, so chances are high users will be fine with the generic Redfish.

2) WSMAN interface to iDRAC is deprecated in Ironic. Again, Redfish is the king now. This change affects the idrac:// driver (but not idrac-redfish:// and idrac-virtualmedia://). I suggest deprecating it on our side.

3) The "classic" iLO protocol (pre-Redfish) is not deprecated but is now discouraged. This affects ilo4://, ilo4-virtualmedia:// and ilo5:// (but not ilo5-redfish:// and ilo5-virtualmedia://). ilo4:// can be replaced with ipmi://, ilo4-virtualmedia has no replacement, ilo5:// can be replaced with Redfish but will lose the RAID functionality. I don't suggest dropping these for now, but we need to keep an eye on the development. Ironic uses a library called proliantutils that is maintained by HPE engineers. If they stop maintaining it, our hand will be forced.

4) Finally, iLO6 will be Redfish-based. The older drivers, ilo4:// and ilo5:// will not work for it. What I do want to avoid, whoever, is creating a set of ilo6:// drivers (and then ilo7:// and so on). Instead, I suggest creating ilo-redfish and ilo-virtualmedia (analogous to idrac-redfish and idrac-virtualmedia that don't have the iDRAC version in them) that will be recommended for both iLO5 and iLO6. ilo5-redfish:// and ilo5-virtualmedia will remain deprecated aliases.

Thoughts?

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, Registered seat: Werner von Siemens Ring 12, D-85630 Grasbrunn, Germany
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen/Munich, HRB 153243,

Riccardo Pittau

Mar 18, 2024, 4:37:37 AMMar 18
to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for your initiative on the drivers support change.
I believe all the changes you mentioned make sense and I don't see any particular issue with them, especially considering how basically all vendors now are fully supporting Redfish based BMC communication in an acceptable way.
I also think having a single generic ilo driver is a good idea and would avoid the confusion we saw sometimes in the past (and we keep seeing!).

I'd be happy to help with the changes if needed.

Ciao
Riccardo

Ádám Rozmán

Mar 21, 2024, 10:53:14 AMMar 21
to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List
Hi,

Thanks for bringing up this discussion, from my perspective WSMAN iDRAC and ibmc are a done deal they will have to go.

FYI Related to classic iLO4, the bare- metal lab of the Metal3 project is still using iLO4. Because we only have access to physical hw managed via iLO4 in the Metal3 CI and in general , Lennart has used those machines to write the quick start guide so the guide also has iLO4 references.

P.S. this is just a reminder; we have discussed this in person on Kubecon.

BR,
Adam