BMO test triggers

Lennart Jern

Jan 19, 2024, 6:28:07 AMJan 19
to Metal3 Dev
Hi contributors!

We are working on getting rid of a deprecated jenkins plugin used to trigger some of our tests. As part of this I have switched the BMO e2e tests to be triggered in a slightly different way.

TL;DR:
  • Old trigger comment: /metal3-bmo-e2e-test
  • New trigger comment: /test metal3-bmo-e2e-test-pull
The status context shows the correct name but you have to put `/test ` in front (note the space after /test)

I also want to highlight that we are starting to split up the e2e suite in two separate jobs. The one above is for required tests that are expected to pass on all PRs. There is another optional job that can be triggered on PRs when deemed useful. Currently it runs BMO upgrade tests.
You can trigger it with /test metal3-bmo-e2e-optional-test

Here is a PR adding info about the triggers to the readme: https://github.com/metal3-io/baremetal-operator/pull/1525

Best regards,
Lennart

P.S.
An added benefit of the new trigger system is that you can get help on what tests are available and the commands for triggering them with a simple `/test ?`.

Lennart Jern

Jan 19, 2024, 6:56:34 AMJan 19
to Metal3 Dev
And of course I managed to get a typo in that email...

The correct trigger for the new optional test is

/test metal3-bmo-e2e-test-optional-pull

Lennart

Jan 19, 2024, 8:40:23 AMJan 19
to Lennart Jern, Metal3 Dev
Hi Lennart,

thank you for this!

Maybe it's a bit too late but just wondering if we could rename the optional job adding the "upgrade" word to be more explicit.
Unless the plan is to add more tests to the same command, then scratch that.

Cheers
Riccardo

Lennart Jern

Jan 19, 2024, 8:49:00 AMJan 19
to Riccardo Pittau, Metal3 Dev
Hi!

Yes, the plan is to add more tests to this optional suite!
I suspect we may even want to make some of the currently required tests optional by moving them there.
Until now we just had one job so everything was added there. Now when I compare what we used to have as required in the CAPM3-based jobs we require way more in BMO e2e! Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to think about if the tests start to take too long.

Lennart