Adding governance documents in a separate repo and Roadmap in github org

Kashif Khan

Nov 22, 2023, 7:15:00 AM11/22/23
to metal...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I am planning to create a community/ repo which will host all the governance documents we have so far scattered in different repos.

Examples are here:

Also, I am planning to add a Roadmap for the project in github based on the Metal3 Meetup discussion outcome we had earlier in May this year.

Do share your thoughts and suggestions on this.

BR
Kashif

Ádám Rozmán

Nov 23, 2023, 8:56:39 AM11/23/23
to Kashif Khan, metal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What are you planning to keep in the repos?

Okay sounds great , I have just checkedhttps://clomonitor.io/projects/cncf/istio and with CLO monitor we could even select a "community" rule set for that repo and code for the others so that could help us tick all the boxes.

I am fine with this proposal, I was just checking CLOs rulesets and they are putting the website under the community and also the adopters, should we consolidate and rename the website's repo to "community" and add all the community stuff and move adopters there from the docs?
It actually makes sense to me to put the website to the community repo , and this way we wouldn't need to add an additional repo.

WDYT?

BR,
Adam

Nov 23, 2023, 1:47:17 PM11/23/23
to Ádám Rozmán, metal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you go through the example repositories , you can get an idea of what should be there. What governance means according to CNCF is defined here https://contribute.cncf.io/maintainers/governance/overview/#:~:text=A%20project's%20governance%20model%20outlines,works%20best%20for%20the%20community.

In short documents related to contribution guide, code of conduct, roles, admin list, policies and guidelines for new contributors etc etc.

I am a bit unsure if I would want to put website also in the same repository. I am inclining towards no and leave the website as it is unless there is a reason to use it. I believe there is a way to steer CLO monitor towards our new community repo if that's your concern. If you check the examples of the projects I have given (istio and cillium), they have also separate repositories for the website .

BR
Kashif

Nov 23, 2023, 1:56:13 PM11/23/23
to Kashif Khan, metal...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have checked it again and it actually the CLO requirement only means that we just have to link the website to the community page.
On first glance I thought it had to contain the website.... in this case I am fine either way.

I wasn't worried about the content of the "community" repo, rather what should stay in other repositories, but CLO "code" and "doc" rulesets show that also, so I have nothing against the community repo, it makes sense.

BR,
Adam