Email address for Metal3

feruzjon....@est.tech

Mar 15, 2021, 7:51:57 AM3/15/21
to Metal3 Development List
Hi,

Based on the document [1] , it seems Metal3 is eligible to request a Docker Hub account with no pull rate limits. We started hitting pull rate limit issues in our CI earlier and until now we were using a workaround (by pre-pulling container images).

To obtain/expand the Docker Hub account, we need to apply for "Docker Expanded Support for Open Source Software Projects" [2] program via this form[3]. In the form, apart from other questions, we are asked to provide Docker Hub ID of the project.

Since we don't have a Docker Hub account yet, we wanted to first create one and then apply for the program. That means, we need an email address to create an account.
There are three options for the email to use:

2. Setup email address
3. Use an email address from Nordix organization(e.g. met...@nordix.org)

I think the first option would best among others. Since it is an open source project, we don't want to use 3rd option here. As such, I wanted to hear if you think that it is okay that we use cncf-metal3-i...@lists.cncf.io for the creation of Docker Hub account? If you have any other alternatives, please share it.

[1]: https://github.com/cncf/servicedesk#my-project-is-affected-by-the-docker-hub-rate-limits-policy-changes-what-can-i-doBest regards,
Feruzjon Muyassarov

Digambar Patil

Mar 15, 2021, 8:37:43 AM3/15/21
to feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
Hey,

We should go with the first option. +1

Thanks,
Digambar

Doug Hellmann

Mar 15, 2021, 8:44:37 AM3/15/21
to feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
Would the address receive messages that we don't want archived on a public list, such as password reset URLs?

Stephen Benjamin

Mar 15, 2021, 8:52:12 AM3/15/21
to Doug Hellmann, feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:44 AM Doug Hellmann <dhel...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Would the address receive messages that we don't want archived on a public list, such as password reset URLs?

The archive itself isn't public:
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-metal3-io-maintainers

Another option would be to set up something on metal3.io, but that
requires finding an e-mail host as it doesn't have any MX records
today.

--

Stephen Benjamin (he/him)
Principal Software Engineer

Russell Bryant

Mar 15, 2021, 9:03:04 AM3/15/21
to Stephen Benjamin, Doug Hellmann, feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:52 AM Stephen Benjamin <ste...@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:44 AM Doug Hellmann <dhel...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Would the address receive messages that we don't want archived on a public list, such as password reset URLs?

The archive itself isn't public:
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-metal3-io-maintainers

Another option would be to set up something on metal3.io, but that
requires finding an e-mail host as it doesn't have any MX records
today.

We also have metal3...@gmail.com.  I think I originally created that for the metal3 github bot, but happy to give access to other maintainers if it's helpful.  I probably just have the main forwarded and could probably set up forwarding to multiple people.
Message has been deleted

feruzjon....@est.tech

Mar 15, 2021, 9:19:41 AM3/15/21
to Metal3 Development List
Yes, reset URLs are expected to be received. I think address is only accessible by the group members (i.e. maintainers in that list).

Doug Hellmann

Mar 15, 2021, 9:22:14 AM3/15/21
to feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
OK, that was the only reason I could think of not to use the maintainers list but it sounds like it should be fine. There are some other options proposed, and I don't have a strong opinion about any of them so I'm content to let you do what's most convenient.

Thanks for taking this on,
Doug

Russell Bryant

Mar 15, 2021, 9:27:33 AM3/15/21
to Doug Hellmann, feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
+1 - do what you feel is best :)

--
Russell Bryant

Kashif Khan

Mar 15, 2021, 9:30:53 AM3/15/21
to Russell Bryant, Doug Hellmann, Feruzjon Muyassarov, Metal3 Development List
Hi,

By the way who are the ones who receive cncf-metal3-i...@lists.cncf.io?
BR
Kashif

Mar 15, 2021, 9:46:05 AM3/15/21
to Metal3 Development List
Maybe it is those people listed in https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-docs/blob/master/maintainers/ALL-OWNERS, but not 100% sure.
From https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-metal3-io-maintainers, I can see 16 Members.

Russell Bryant

Mar 15, 2021, 9:49:57 AM3/15/21
to feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
Yeah, the ALL-OWNERS file is what I provided when we got set up with CNCF.

--
Russell Bryant

feruzjon....@est.tech

Mar 15, 2021, 9:56:50 AM3/15/21
to Metal3 Development List

Thanks Russell. I personally would be in favor of using metal3...@gmail.com rather
than CNCF one, because I'm not fully sure if that's okay from CNCF perspective.

If everyone is okay metal3...@gmail.com, can you maybe expand alias list to a couple
of more people please?

Russell Bryant

Mar 15, 2021, 11:07:50 AM3/15/21
to feruzjon....@est.tech, Metal3 Development List
Yes, just send me the email addresses privately by email or slack and we'll get it set up.

--
Russell Bryant