Support CentOS Stream 9, drop support for CentOS Stream 8

Riccardo Pittau

Mar 9, 2022, 3:44:29 AM3/9/22
to Metal3 Development List
Hello metalkubers!

I believe the time to switch from CentOS Stream 8 (CS8) to CentOS Stream 9 (CS9) has finally come.
Python 3.6, which is the native Python binary in CS8, has EOL since the end of December 2021, and even if the support in upstream ironic was extended for the Yoga cycle, it is now being dropped  in the Zed cycle, which starts at the end of March.
The only supported Python versions will be 3.8 and higher.
Even if CS8 has higher versions of Python packages, I'd rather not increase the size of the images adding more packages to the list and rather go directly to CS9 that has Python 3.9 as native Python binary.
Quite important to consider also is that the openstack upstream CI is dropping CS8 in favor of CS9.
I've removed the "hold" flag from the patches that switch from CS8 to CS9 in the images repositories, while keep working on the support in metal3-dev-env that requires still some adjustments, but should come soon.
Here's a list of the current patches:
https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-ipa-downloader/pull/31
https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-dev-env/pull/950

Thank you and please don't hesitate if you have concerns, questions, doubts!

Ciao
Riccardo

Furkat Gofurov

Mar 9, 2022, 6:28:38 AM3/9/22
to Riccardo Pittau, Metal3 Development List
Hey,

Thanks for raising this up, +1 from my side for switching from CS8 to CS9.

Just a reminder and to add what you have already mentioned, we need some more changes
in infra side, i.e:
  • uploading the CS9 image to CityCloud
  • use that image hash to build meta3 centos image which is later used to create the CI VMs
  • build node images
  • update the m3-dev-env repo to use those node images properly

Best,
Furkat