Revising Frequently asked questions on Metal3 Website

Salima Rabiu

Sep 20, 2023, 11:46:20 AM9/20/23
to Metal3 Development List
Hello Everyone,
I would like to update the questions in the FAQ section to answer the questions first time users might have, the current questions there don't exactly serve that purpose...I am quite sure that at some point we've all had thoughts about possible questions that can be answered in the FAQ section on the website to make first experience better, please i would greatly appreciate if you could all send in these questions for this purpose.

Thanks

Lennart Jern

Sep 21, 2023, 4:16:25 AM9/21/23
to Metal3 Development List
Hi!

Thank you for driving this! Here are some suggested questions from me (in no particular order):

- How does Metal3 relate to Cluster API (CAPI)?
- What is Cluster API provider Metal3 (CAPM3)?
- What is Ironic and how does Metal3 relate to it?
- Do I need to use Cluster API with Metal3 or can I use only Metal3?

Best regards,
Lennart Jern

Ádám Rozmán

Sep 21, 2023, 4:39:38 AM9/21/23
to Salima Rabiu, Metal3 Development List
Hi,

Thanks for improving the FAQ!

I can think of these questions that might be interesting for newcomers:

  • What kind of BMC management protocols are supported ?
  • What kind of boot processes can be paired with specific BMC protocols?
  • How can one supply network configuration during provisioning?
  • How do I enable TLS support (and supply certificates) for Ironic API and for the different BMC protocols and boot processes?
  • What CPU architectures are supported?
  • Can I use BMO without CAPM3 and CAPI?

Sep 21, 2023, 8:26:25 AM9/21/23
to Salima Rabiu, Metal3 Development List
These are all great questions. Let's maybe start a shared document, so that we can also collaborate on *answers*?

--
Red Hat GmbH, Registered seat: Werner von Siemens Ring 12, D-85630 Grasbrunn, Germany
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen/Munich, HRB 153243,

Salima Rabiu

Sep 21, 2023, 8:50:47 AM9/21/23
to Metal3 Development List
Hello Dmitry
Yes i completely agree, here's a docs i just created with both Lennart and Adam's suggested questions

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pf41VyyhwJujVGQV48reGH8FCxLcscoC39plEwP2AOY/edit?usp=sharing

Dmitry Tantsur

Sep 27, 2023, 11:32:36 AM9/27/23
to Salima Rabiu, Metal3 Development List
Hi!

Sorry for the delay, I've populated the document with more questions, fixed or provided some answers.

If you're fine with it, feel free to propose it for review.

Dmitry