faq

livio

Sep 2, 2011, 5:40:08 PM9/2/11
to Metaflows
With other network security monitoring solutions, I have experienced
too many false positive and false negatives. What makes MetaFlows
different ?

A: MetaFlows has developed a ranking algorithm that prioritizes
security events according to continuous, global measurements. The
ranks are autonomously obtained from a global network of active decoy
sensors that, when they are attacked, record the security event
information from the attack. The security events that trigger false
positives are ranked negatively, thus providing insight into events
that should be routinely ignored or turned off. Security events that
trigger true positives are ranked positively thus improving their
visibility. The integration of Flow and Log analysis with IP
reputation feeds from our partners helps reduce false negative rates.

Q: Does MetaFlows work in a virtualized server environment?

A: Yes, our sensor software can monitor network traffic in any
environment. In fact, our sensor can also be installed as a virtual
machine.

Q: With a virtual sensor, how can I count on my system to run at an
adequate speed to work properly ?

A: A virtual machine's performance depends on the resources that are
given to it: the more memory and processors available, the better it
will run. Our sensor technology automatically scales to the
capabilities of the hardware or the virtual machine on which it is
installed. Our virtual sensor will only take the memory and processors
that are allotted to it. The sensor's software continuously monitors
the dropped packet rate and provides real time feedback on its
operation which is viewable from the Metaflows console.

Q: With your SaaS-based model, how do I know that my data is secure ?

A: With the Metaflows Security System, packet payloads are only stored
on the sensors running inside your infrastructure (which are highly
secure Unix-based open-source systems). Even if the cloud were to be
compromised, no application data would ever be exposed. We only store
your security events in our cloud. To secure our cloud we continuously
monitor our networks and routinely perform penetration testing of our
infrastructure to ensure our computer security. Security event data
exchanged between you and the back-end is encrypted end-to-end: from
your browser to our web servers; from the sensor to our web servers;
and from the browser/console to the sensors. All authentications are
performed using public key cryptography (the same one used to secure
your access to your online banking).

Q: Can I generate custom reports so I can show what I find with the
rest of the organization ?

A: We have a number of reports available at this time and will be
continuously adding new ones with flexibility in mind. The beauty of
the SaaS model is that you will get any and all upgrades without ever
having to perform any system management operations.

Q: How does MetaFlows separate the script kiddies from dedicated
attackers?

A: Our global and local correlation technologies are continuously fed
intelligence data that prioritizes security incidents based on event
ranking and IP reputation.

Q: I noticed you have a free trial subscription offer. What do I not
get in my free subscription versus when I subscribe to your security
solution ?

A: Before you can add monthly subscriptions or yearly licenses, your
account must be converted from a trial account to a subscription
account. This allows you to take advantage of a number of features
only available to subscription users:

• Daily signature updates from Emerging Threats
• Private online 1-on-1 chat support, plus priority e-mail support
• Use unlimited sensors on a single account
• MetaFlows historical reporting with unlimited storage capacity for 1
year

Q: I like the ease of use of a SaaS model. Can I buy an annual
subscription versus a month to month subscription ?

A: Absolutely, you can. MetaFlows allows you to purchase either a
month to month subscription or an annual subscription.

Q: Can MetaFlows provide 24x7x365 support on a global basis?

A: Yes, MetaFlows offers chat, email, and support ticket capabilities
as our primary customer touch points. We have also produced a series
of tutorial videos to assist subscribers in download and installation,
tuning, and other key self-help tools. Phone support is limited to 9AM
to 6PM PST.