Snort instances and cores information

vip2442

Nov 15, 2011, 10:11:29 PM11/15/11
to Metaflows
Hi there,

I have snort + pf_ring configured on centos 6. Now I want to show that
if I run 2 instance of snort each instance will use 1 core of the 2
cores cpu, how can I test that ?

I followed http://www.metaflows.com/technology/pf-ring/
and I run snort by this command:

snort -c snort.conf -i eth0 --daq-dir /usr/local/lib/daq --daq pfring
--daq-var clusterid=10 --daq-mode inline -Q

Thanks

li...@metaflows.com

Nov 15, 2011, 10:43:24 PM11/15/11
to Metaflows
Just run the command twice with the same exact arguments and they will slip the traffic. The pfring kernel module will automatically detect how many processes are running and split the traffic accordingly.

li...@metaflows.com

Nov 15, 2011, 10:47:10 PM11/15/11
to Metaflows
Also, If you only use one interface (passive mode) remove the daq-var inline -Q arguments

li...@metaflows.com

Nov 15, 2011, 10:49:15 PM11/15/11
to Metaflows
I ment remove --daq-mode inline -Q