Weird bug related with display progress in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jan 8, 2010, 4:40:23 PM1/8/10
to meta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale. I am having a bug that even does not happen always. It is complicated. To (try) to reproduce it, you can:

1) Take a PharoCore 10505
2) Evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.0-rc2.10505') load.

The problem is at the end...after installing all projects, with the project ImageForDevelopers ('Loading ImageForDevelopers-pharo-MarianoMartinezPeck.197')

MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "delete" is nil

See the attached PharoDebug.log

If I change  MetacelloPharoPlatform >> do: aBlock displaying: aString

to do a simple Transcript show, as it is done in MetacelloPlatform   it works perfect...So, there seems to be a problem with the displayProgress :(

Tell me if I can help you with something more!

Cheers

Mariano

PharoDebug.log

Dale Henrichs

Jan 8, 2010, 4:50:36 PM1/8/10
to meta...@googlegroups.com
I'll take a look...

Dale

Dale Henrichs

Jan 8, 2010, 5:07:36 PM1/8/10
to meta...@googlegroups.com
Mariano,

My guess is that the UniqueInstance for systemProgressMorph has been reinitialized out from under the currently open window ... in fact there is a point during the load where all of the visible windows disappear ...

For 1.0-beta.18 ... there was an unconditional error handler for MessageNotUnderstood that probably masked this problem ... I will look into some bullet-proofing and release a 1.0-beta.20 with fix.

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jan 8, 2010, 5:49:44 PM1/8/10
to meta...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Dale Henrichs <dale.h...@gemstone.com> wrote:
Mariano,

My guess is that the UniqueInstance for systemProgressMorph has been reinitialized out from under the currently open window ... in fact there is a point during the load where all of the visible windows disappear ...

Thanks for the tip Dale. I put a self halt in SystemProgressMorph class >> initialize and reset and as you suspected, "I"am calling   >> reset.

This is in the package ImageForDevelopers, in the method setTheme, where it does a beCurrent to the theme...

So, yes, you were right :)

Dale Henrichs

Jan 8, 2010, 5:55:21 PM1/8/10
to meta...@googlegroups.com
Mariano,

I've save a 1.0-beta.19.1 with a fix for this issue (Issue 39) and am testing it as we speak ... (first test was successful, now I'm testing the release) ...