Query on Message_ix

vsa...@irade.org

Apr 25, 2019, 4:41:34 AM4/25/19
to message_ix
Dear All,

I am presently working on AnswerTIMES and look forward to shift to MESSAGE_ix, but I have the following query:

- What is the maximum number of time slice (sub division in a year) that can be model in MESSAGE? I am currently handling 288 Time slices in TIMES.

- Is it possible to model multi-region power trade in MESSAGE? I am currently modelling 3 multi-regional power trade (representing three countries) at hourly level.

- Is it possible to model partial load efficiencies for power plants in MESSAGE? this is possible in TIMES and I am using this feature for thermal power plants as they have to back down during high RE generation.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Vinay Saini

FRICKO Oliver

Apr 26, 2019, 7:57:53 AM4/26/19
to vsa...@irade.org, message_ix

Dear Vinay,

Thanks for these questions.  I have inserted some answers to your questions below.  In general, we are continually working on developing the framework along with accompanying documentation and tutorials.  Specifically for some issues which you have addressed in your questions, tutorials will become available with forthcoming releases.

Please do not hesitate to ask should you have any further questions.

Best,

Oliver

I am presently working on AnswerTIMES and look forward to shift to MESSAGE_ix, but I have the following query:

- What is the maximum number of time slice (sub division in a year) that can be model in MESSAGE? I am currently handling 288 Time slices in TIMES.

- „MESSAGEix is completely generic on the number of timeslices, so it supports 15 minutes-timeslices, and it allows a hierarchical structure of subannual timeslices. So in principle, coal can be traded/produced/consumed at a yearly level, gas at a quarterly level, and electricity at an hourly level of detail. We are working on creating tutorials to guide new users.

- Is it possible to model multi-region power trade in MESSAGE? I am currently modelling 3 multi-regional power trade (representing three countries) at hourly level.

- Yes, trade of electricity as well as any other commodity can be modelled between regions. In the global version of the model we use at IIASA for example, we have 11 regions and trade multiple primary energy commodities as well as secondary energy commodities.

- Is it possible to model partial load efficiencies for power plants in MESSAGE? this is possible in TIMES and I am using this feature for thermal power plants as they have to back down during high RE generation.

- Yes, in principal powerplant efficiencies can be specified differently across the year.  There may also be other ways to model the behavior which you are trying to reflect in the model.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Vinay Saini

vsa...@irade.org

Apr 29, 2019, 12:36:09 AM4/29/19
to message_ix
Dear Oliver,

Thank you so much for your reply. Looking forward to learn more from this platform.

Regards
Vinay Saini