MESSAGE Spatial extent - West Africa

Thierry Odou

Jan 18, 2021, 7:41:58 AM1/18/21
to message_ix
Dear Experts,

I am a new user of MESSAGE Model.  I would like to know if, beyond the 11 native regions in MESSAGE, ones may personalize it to create a sub-region with selected countries of interest.

For instance, I am interested in modelling power supply pathways in West-Africa considering low-carbon technologies.

Regards,
Thierry

Paul Natsuo Kishimoto

Mar 25, 2021, 7:22:03 AM3/25/21
to message_ix
Dear Thierry;

Yes, this is possible.
The "11 native regions" are only for one specific model (or family of models) used by the IIASA ECE Program, called "MESSAGEix-GLOBIOM".
The MESSAGEix framework, in general, allows to populate the "node" set/dimension with any values; see the documentation, e.g. the Westeros and Austria tutorials which each use a single specific region.

Finally, I encourage you to use the newer Discussions feature attached to the message_ix repository, on GitHub: https://github.com/iiasa/message_ix/discussions