Network Management

tomswbb

Oct 10, 2007, 6:34:10 AM10/10/07
to Mesh wireless
Is Wiana or Wumps or similar really necessary ? Paid for systems .

Will free Wiana always be free or will it disappear ?

Are alternate free systems available ?

Although nice and handy , wiana and such like are not really needed.
Authentication can be implemented and managed through your own radius
server ,freeradius.org for linux and freeradius.net for windows.
Local and remote management can be implemented using http , https or
ssh as long as all nodes have local web gui's. Locustworld's local web
gui management does away with the need for wiana for node settings and
any other replacement e.g dd-wrt , openwrt, sveasoft etc etc have
local web gui's , some a lot better than others.
Adrian mentioned he was working on tools, and dd-wrt has rflow for at
a glance network checking.
Captive portals , splash pages etc are all covered as could be payment
through Paypal.

Tom

Richie Jarvis

Oct 10, 2007, 6:37:22 AM10/10/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I 100% agree with your assessment. However, I think that administrators
like the WIANA concept of having centralised management.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a central management system which can be
hosted on my own servers, and that I have control over, as we have no
idea whether WIANA will be maintained, etc.

Richie

Helen Anderson

Oct 10, 2007, 8:40:44 AM10/10/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
I've just uploaded a screenshot of the Rflow SWBB has running in the
files section of the group.

--
www.wireless.southwitham.net
Skype:helenander