Hack a Meraki!

ian at SussexNetShare

Sep 24, 2007, 3:11:16 PM9/24/07
to Mesh wireless
Perhaps I shouldnt post this here! Is it legal to use the word
hacking???? ......Since we first started using & testing merakis a few
months back... I have been really hopeful someone could hack a
meraki!! They even give you a "happy hacking welcome" when you get
in! They are basically excellent units and work reliably even though
they lack power. They mesh well and we have found surfing excellent!!
However the major downside has been the over simplified management
program. We cant brand and tie in with our inhouse community payment
structure. We have been unable to find a way to tie in with our MeshAp
boxes. We are having to run 2 distinct networks and we want as one!!
Our users expect and we want them to be able to surf off any of our
nodes!!

Payment is in dollars at the mo with meraki and they take a 20% cut!!
Its not on! Also security is an issue. Monitoring has a lot of fancy
graphs but if plod comes knocking at the door... info on actual user
surfing habits is poor.

So yes the merakis work, are reliable, but need a little adjustment!!!
However they have been very cleverly built to reflash themselves back
when simply nobbled! If anyone out there has any thoughts.... love to
hear from you. I have a box load of meraki minis here to play with!!

If they cant be got at... maybe they will need to be competely wiped!!
Suggestions welcomed!

Tom Anderson

Sep 24, 2007, 3:27:52 PM9/24/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
reflash with dd-wrt at dd-wrt.com

Ian Salmon

Sep 24, 2007, 5:10:27 PM9/24/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Idiot guide to reflash a Meraki to dd-wrt???

Phil Thompson

Sep 24, 2007, 5:19:29 PM9/24/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Ian Salmon wrote:
> Idiot guide to reflash a Meraki to dd-wrt???

my inclination is that this is going the wrong way.

Can you not build a Meraki network that is open and free, then stick a
RADIUS authentication like Chillispot on the gateways ??

Or does Meraki force you to use their services ?

I just feel that adding things onto dd-wrt to get to where Meraki is
could be more work than adding things on to Meraki to get to where you
want to be.

Phil

Ian Salmon

Sep 24, 2007, 5:33:10 PM9/24/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Personally I agree with you Phil, unless others can show a better way!!
Those Meraki are great little boxes... but its that last little bit which
needs changing. But how can it be done. An open and free Meraki would be
ideal!! I wouldn't even object to paying more for an open and free Meraki!!

Ian

Sep 24, 2007, 8:13:34 PM9/24/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
The Meraki uses NAT and only passes it's own MAC to the radius server.

you can do a hack to turn off the NAT mode on the meraki, so it shows the
clients macs to the radius server or captive portal device (lw node) but you
have to mod a few more things to stop google from forcing new updates and
firmware loads on to the unit.

I will find the threads from the forum, but basically search meraki hacks on
the meraki forum.

Adrian

Ian

Phil

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
13:53

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
13:53

Ian Salmon

Sep 26, 2007, 5:23:35 AM9/26/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
I have found this so far

http://www.fias.co.nz/2007/03/31/more-meraki-hacking but nout much
better.... anyone found anything worth using/trying?

http://fonblog.wordpress.com/2007/03/07/meraki-and-fon-ssh-motd

But has anyone actually managed yet to modify them so that anyone can use
their own management prog & radius server!!! Or has it got to be along the
lines of
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Meraki/Mini .........

I see there are discussions gong on in the Meraki forums but no real
solutions.... or have I missed them???

http://forums.meraki.com/viewtopic.php?t=1776 others with similar groans....

http://forums.meraki.com/viewtopic.php?t=710&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=
0

cheers,

Nick Hall

Sep 26, 2007, 5:40:55 AM9/26/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This might be a daft idea but what would happen if you plugged a MeshAP into the back of a meraki?  Would that give Ian what he needs for managing users through the WIANA API. Each MeshAP would be a gateway and meshing would be handled by the Meraki. We could then manage our bandwidth better with basically a dual radio setup. It would need to survive a power cut by having static IP on the MeshAP. I would be tempted to then combine the two radios onto one antenna. Since the meshAP no longer need meshing you pop a Atheros card in to help the speed with 11g.

Hybrids are more vigourous than pure breeds or am I just a turnip eating west country lad who should return to the fields immediately?

Regards,

Nick

Richie Jarvis

Sep 26, 2007, 6:21:21 AM9/26/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Nick Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be a daft idea but what would happen if you plugged a
> MeshAP into the back of a meraki? Would that give Ian what he needs
> for managing users through the WIANA API. Each MeshAP would be a
> gateway and meshing would be handled by the Meraki. We could then
> manage our bandwidth better with basically a dual radio setup. It
> would need to survive a power cut by having static IP on the MeshAP. I
> would be tempted to then combine the two radios onto one antenna.
> Since the meshAP no longer need meshing you pop a Atheros card in to
> help the speed with 11g.
>
> Hybrids are more vigourous than pure breeds or am I just a turnip
> eating west country lad who should return to the fields immediately?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick
>

> On 9/26/07, *Ian Salmon* <ians...@gmail.com
I've been investigating the SRCRR protocol that the Meraki uses to such
good effect. The source is available on the MIT Roofnet site, so maybe
the answer is to rebuild OpenWRT with SRCRR included, and use chillispot.

The Meraki boxes are certainly amenable to being reflashed with the
OpenWRT firmware from what I gather.

Cheers,

Richie

Ian Salmon

Oct 7, 2007, 11:57:31 AM10/7/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
More disgruntled meraki users....
http://forums.meraki.com/viewtopic.php?t=1898

Perhaps their email addresses need harvesting before Meraki wipes the
forums!!!

I notice already those that are posting are complaining that their posts
have been censored!!! Havent we heard that all before????

johnk

Oct 7, 2007, 12:49:39 PM10/7/07
to Mesh wireless
> Perhaps their email addresses need harvesting before Meraki wipes the
> forums!!!

Google is an investor in Meraki, this forum is on Google.

I have 60 Meraki's and am very unhappy.

ne0e0n

Oct 10, 2007, 11:12:37 AM10/10/07
to Mesh wireless
I've got 6 meraki units which we were using as experimental gateway
feeds for meshboxes until all the latest "editions" nonsense from
Meraki, so I too want to move away from their ripped-off from GPL
binary code.

I understand that the actual Meraki hardware is available in Taiwan
for sub $20 per unit in quantity BTW and is the same platform as Fon
use too...

Guy

ian salmon

Oct 10, 2007, 11:49:20 AM10/10/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
Yes we are looking into these boxes and have enquired re pricing.... There is a natter going on particulary concerned with opensourcemesh software and reflashing merakis/foneros/LW meshboxes at www.opensourcemesh.org  Not that we cant discuss it here! But at OSM a lot of disgruntled Meraki users are nattering and organising rapidly....

Tom Anderson

Oct 10, 2007, 12:42:26 PM10/10/07
to mes...@googlegroups.com
There is openwrt and dd-wrt firmwares for Meraki's , either will do the trick and integrate with wiana for authentication etc.
It is the management side that is also costing more and more for which ever base you start from.
If free wiana stops , what then??
Is this not the bit we all need ??

Tom

ne0e0n

Oct 10, 2007, 2:36:43 PM10/10/07
to Mesh wireless
The smartest thing (and tragically incompleted) that LW did was to
combine several different elements into the meshAP+wiana package.

My thoughts on the AAA management side of things is to leverage
802.11x enterprise WPA2, use dd-wrt AP gateways for client connections
(best via a splash page that delivers the RADIUS username password
pair to a remote RADIUS server - and use separate hardware to create
the mesh backhaul for each gateway AP (ie the mesh is closed to direct
user connections and only talk/routes with trusted/authorised/
certificated peer nodes - ie just like running mesh of wrt54g each
one acting as WAN gateway for a meshbox gateway node)

The visualisation server for the ROBIN (blogin.it) project should deal
with the graphics and heartbeat elements of wiana separately.
Guy