Mersorcium SEMINAR: Microbial community dynamics involved in methylmercury production in peatlands

Mersor cium

Apr 19, 2022, 4:49:31 PM4/19/22
to merso...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,

We are pleased to inform you that we are ready for our next Mersorcium seminar that will be held on April 27th at 10AM easter time or 14:00 UTC.

Attached you will find the poster of our next session, imparted by Dr. Spencer Roth!
Below you will find a summary of the seminar and also Spencer's bio to get you hooked!

Feel free to share it with whoever you think will be interested in attending. The seminar will be recorded and accessible for those of you who can’t make it.We will provide the link in upcoming reminders, don't worry.

Thank you in advance for your participation!
See you on the 27th!

Carla Pereira, on behalf of the board.

Summary: For the upcoming Mersorcium hour, Spencer will present his work investigating the impacts of wetland trophic status on microbial communities and Hg methylation. In this study, genome-resolved shotgun metagenomics was paired with geochemical measurements to show that as bogs transition to fens with permafrost melting, the potential for methylmercury production by robust and diverse Hg-methylating communities increases significantly. In addition to detailing these results, Spencer will briefly talk about his current work at the Spruce and Peatland Responses Under Changing Environments (SPRUCE) whole ecosystem warming experiment in northern Minnesota.

Bio: Spencer Roth is a postdoctoral associate in the Biosciences division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) where he studies the impact of long-term warming on peatland microbial community structure and function, and plant-microbe interactions in the biofeedstock, Populus. Spencer earned his PhD from Rutgers University in 2021 under the direction of Drs. Tamar Barkay and Jeffra Schaefer. During his PhD, Spencer investigated mercury cycling in sub-Arctic peatlands, with a specific focus on microbial community dynamics involved in mercury methylation. Immediately following his PhD, Spencer moved to ORNL to work with Drs. Chris Schadt and Melissa Cregger in the Integrative Microbiomics group.

Seminar-SpencerRoth-270422.pdf

Mersor cium

Apr 26, 2022, 12:31:04 PM4/26/22
to merso...@googlegroups.com
Dear members,

This is just a quick reminder that we have our second seminar tomorrow, given by Dr. Spencer Roth!
Attached you will find the poster and below you will find a summary.
Please feel free to share the link with all the people who you may think is interested:

Remember that it is tomorrow at 10AM Easter Time, which means that is 14:00 UTC time!
Seminar-SpencerRoth_27April22.pdf