Importing data from CSV to Merlin User Defined Fields

blake

Jun 6, 2009, 2:20:37 PM6/6/09
to Merlin2Users
Good morning.

I am attempting to import data from a CSV file into Merlin,
specifically, into several user defined fields I created in Merlin.
When I open the CSV file, Merlin provides a nice mapping utility but
the user defined fields are not available to select (even when the
Show All Fields check box is checked).

Is there a way to import data from the CSV file into User Defined
Fields in Merlin?

Thank you for your assistance.

Blake

John Kranz

Jun 7, 2009, 10:07:01 PM6/7/09
to Merlin2Users
Blake, my understanding is that Merlin may include expanded field
mapping capabilities for importing in a future release. Sorry I can't
provide a more favorable answer at this time!

John

andrew

Jun 9, 2009, 8:36:47 AM6/9/09
to Merlin2Users
Could we please also have AppleScript support for user defined fields
to allow read/write from scripts?

Thanks,

Andrew

John Kranz

Jun 9, 2009, 5:50:14 PM6/9/09
to Merlin2Users
I'll submit the feature request, Andrew.
> > > Blake- Hide quoted text -

George Siddiqui

Dec 16, 2013, 11:18:11 AM12/16/13
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Is has this been resolved at all in later versions of Merlin?

Many thanks,
George

Vlad

Feb 10, 2019, 4:34:20 PM2/10/19
to Merlin2Users
Is it still impossible to import CSV into user-defined fields or script those with AppleScript? That really limits usage for data integration.

Thank you!
Vlad

Vicky @pws

Feb 10, 2019, 6:03:52 PM2/10/19
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vlad,
Just enable the option ‚ create columns for unmapped fields’  when importing an csv in Merlin Project.

Best regards, Vicky

Sent from my iPhone

Vlad

Feb 13, 2019, 2:53:15 AM2/13/19
to Merlin2Users
But I have columns (custom fields) that are named differently in Merlin, so with each import of the CSV I will have to rename each CSV field manually? I don't have control over how fields in Asana are named or in other systems and I need to map them to naming in my project, not create new columns, or I need to rename each time I import.

We have CSVs from Asana (30 custom fields there) and I would have to each time rename if I can't map and through a bunch of steps too, so much manual work?

Thank you!
Vlad

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Feb 13, 2019, 5:17:47 AM2/13/19
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Do you need to re-import an csv file into an existing Merlin Project file already having the user defined fields of that csv file?
In this case, you can consider an AppleScript solution.

Page 7, custom fields:

Best regards, Vicky

Vlad

Feb 13, 2019, 10:31:07 PM2/13/19
to Merlin2Users
Ok, so it is possible through AppleScript, thank you!

I need to move data back and forth between Merlin and Asana and other systems and I'm surprised that even if I drop a CSV into the project that has custom field "Last Modified" already and the CSV also has custom field "Last Modified" - I still can't put data from one to the other, because on import you can't see mapping into that field, even though it is already there and it would be so much easier to just import into it. I don't understand why I can't do that (every custom field has type too, so it's another extra step) and need to go all the way around, but at least it's possible.

All best,
Vlad