Merlin Server - Slow Response and Report Downloads

Dave Warden

Feb 20, 2017, 10:00:36 AM2/20/17
to merlin...@googlegroups.com

Well I continue to experiment with Merlin Server and I am still running into a few issues.

Today’s topic, web access and the pdf down load

I have been out and purchased a Mac Mini, i5 processor, 8Gb ram and 1Tb hard drive. It is running latest OS Merlin server and nothing else. It is hard wired to the router and port forwarding is set up as it should be. I have no issue accessing the server and sync with both Merlin and Merlin Project go seems to be very quick. Connection to the internet is via cable with a download speed of 25Mbs and an upload speed of 5Mbs.

The web access to the server seems to be very slow with it often taking it minutes to load the web page for the project after logging in and then minutes again if I change from say work breakdown to reports.

When I finally get to the reports section I can flip through the reports quickly. Now the issue arrives as to how do I print the report, download as a pdf one would assume is the answer, however if you do this it downloads the document as a 1 page pdf, great for viewing off line on the computer but impossible to print. I’ve enclosed an example if anyone wants to have a go at repaginating it for a useful print.

Can anyone offer advise on their experience with using Merlin Server and how they manage and set up their system to get acceptable performance from the web module?

Regards

Dave

Gareth Watson

Feb 21, 2017, 3:50:49 AM2/21/17
to Merlin2Users
Hi Dave,

The Upload/download of the server could be part of the issue also latency issues.

We have a Cloud Service where we host clients.  Would you like to upload a file to that as a test?  If you do contact me at gwa...@lgo.co.uk. This will help to work out if we should look at the file or server or setup

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Feb 21, 2017, 5:37:18 AM2/21/17
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

when accessing the web browser, wherefrom did you do this?
- on the go, with a mobile device?
- over the internet accessing the WAN address of the router?
- within the LAN, where MerlinServer is also running?
- is there an antivirus software running on the Mac/PC?
- which is your browser?

I tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari and they all worked similarly well.

You may check with Gareth to see if there is a change using his server.

To the PDF… The web browser offers an PDF of the current view, so you can print it. If it is oversized, you’ll need an output device (a plotter) offering bigger page sizes.

For a paginated report, you’ll need to print a Report view from a Mac with MerlinProject.
To be able to print this oversized PDF,  you could try Acrobat Reader and select in the printer dialogue the ‘Poster’ option.

Best regards, Vicky

Dave Warden

Feb 21, 2017, 9:39:46 AM2/21/17
to merlin...@googlegroups.com

Vicky,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m using it over the internet accessing the WAN address of the router. I tried with both Safari and Firefox.

I will follow up with Garth if we think there is truly a need to use the web interface.

Sorry to hear about the lack of ability to print a manageable report from the web interface, I would have though as the web interface is touted as a remote portal on the project for end users and customers then the ability to print a report would have been a given. If I need to run the reports daily through Merlin and mailshot them out then there is no practical need for the web interface.

Dave

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Feb 22, 2017, 8:42:16 AM2/22/17
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

>Thanks for the feedback. I’m using it over the internet accessing the WAN address of the router. I tried with both
>Safari and Firefox.

So that means, some of the latency might be due to the network in between.

The use of Safari or Firefox is fine, while -as I know- IE would have been very slow and is therefor not recommended.

Best regards, Vicky

From: <merlin...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Vicky Stamatopoulou <es...@gmx.de>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:37
To: <merlin...@googlegroups.com>

[...]