ASAP with an arrow

Gerben Wijnja

May 14, 2017, 7:35:53 AM5/14/17
to Merlin2Users
The alignment menu has 4 options:

I know ASAP = As Soon As Possible, ALAP = As Late As Possible and Long will expand the activity while lowering utilization.

But what is the difference between ASAP and ASAP with an arrow? Does it have to do with inheritance? I tried some things with resource leveling but couldn't find any change in behaviour. How would one use this?

I was unable to find this in the manual, videos and online help. The online manual only says: "The Alignment option offers various options for the start date.", with the above screenshot. That's it.

Kind regards,

Gerben

Vicky Stamatopoulou

May 14, 2017, 7:45:24 AM5/14/17
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Exactly Gerben.
ASAP with the arrow means the ASAP alignment is inherited from the higher level item.
This could be an activity group, or the main project row (or row 0).

If you don’t change this value, the activity will change its alignment should you change the alignment on a higher level.
I wouldn’t set this value of not absolutely necessary for this specific item. It is the same as setting start and end dates, the less you set, the more dynamic your scheduling remains.

Best regards, Vicky