Meterials and Gant chart …Help

JLS

Jul 25, 2016, 5:36:04 AM7/25/16
to Merlin2Users
Hello there
i have been a long term user of merlin but not the gant chart facility , however i now want to use this however i run a construction company and so have both subcontractors who are on a hourly rate and also meterial imputs which are obvously cost basis rather than a time basis .
The subcontarctors show up correctly in the gant chart in that when i allocate 3 days for a job it shows up as 3 days in the gant … however when the  meterials are entered so say 20kg of cement that is also entered in the gant chart and goes in at 20 days when i checked the inspector it shows that a KG = i day which i do not want it to do , obvously i do not want meterials showing up in the gant. Any help really appreiciated .

Vicky Stamatopoulou

Aug 1, 2016, 7:46:51 AM8/1/16
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

you may either adjust the utilization to something like 20kg/day
or… attach those costs of 20kg cement as base costs (not as resource) onto the activity.

Best regards, Vicky

JLS

Aug 8, 2016, 3:56:40 AM8/8/16
to Merlin2Users
Hello Many thanks for the reply as I mentioned I have been a user of merlin since around 2010 but now trying to get to grips with it after a budgeting nightmare on a barn conversion I am currently doing .......anyway thanks for the advice in your opinion would it be better to imput meterials as base costs or as an asset but adjust the utilisation as you suggested ?. Because it is all linked I assume it is better for me to run a combined gant planner and budget ? Or would it be easier to have a separate budget file and separate gant planner file ?.
Just one other question .... Some jobs such as building a kitchen require 2 men so for instance if I allow 10xdays for a kitchen build I want to be able to assign 2xmen for 100% to it however when I try this it will only allow me to put the 2 men in at 50% otherwise I get a conflict warning ... Is there a way around this ? Obviously in construction sometimes you need to allocate 2 men or more to a givern task for a set time ....
Many thanks James

Bart Kolosowski

Aug 8, 2016, 4:33:35 AM8/8/16
to merlin...@googlegroups.com
Just give up, Merlin can not deal with budgeting and cost control of construction work. Use Excel

Regards

Bart Kolosowski BSc(Hons) ICIOB | Quantity Surveyor
Multiproject (SE) Ltd.