Anyone can delete a shared mergely

ph0...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2020, 6:49:40 PM8/11/20
to Mergely
I'm not sure if this a bug or what, but it seems like anyone can delete a shared mergely

1. Type stuff in mergely
2. Press share
4. Have them open the link and click "share" again

The person then sees a dialog saying "delete permanently", even if they are not the author of the mergely.

This seems bad, as it makes it impossible to share stuff publically, as anyone can just delete it.

Jamie Peabody

Aug 12, 2020, 2:57:17 AM8/12/20
to Mergely
I received quite a few requests to delete diffs that accidentally shared, so I made this delete permanently feature recently.  Yes, it means anyone with the link can delete it, so don't give it to anyone you wouldn't trust, but I wouldn't say it's "impossible" to share stuff publicly.  mergely.com currently has no user/login mechanism, or even a backing database, so it isn't really currently possible to permanently track the author of diffs.  I would suggest that the share mechanism would work just fine, sent to individuals or teams.  But if what you say is true, that people are deleting diffs nefariously, then I will have to do something about that.

ph0...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2020, 2:03:43 PM8/12/20
to Mergely
I see, I understand the problem. I think part of the issue here is also that the UX around it is slightly misleading.

The fact that you have to press "share" again to delete the existing share is not very intuitive, and I myself have accidentally deleted an existing share because I modified it and wanted to update it. I assumed pressing share would create a new ID. Yes there was a big red "Delete permanently button, but I'll admit I instinctively just clicked it. I think it would at the very least help if the "delete function" was in a separate place, and the share button worked as it would on a fresh document. And I would assume someone looking to delete their share would have a hard time figuring out that they need to press share again.