Trying to fix what the DNS broke

1 view

Steve Levinthal

Jan 8, 2003, 6:59:03 AM1/8/03
Bear with me, people.

Tracy Yucikas

Jan 9, 2003, 1:19:31 AM1/9/03
Hi Steve,

I've been reading what others say about the "new, improved"
forum and have heard that non-Mensans may "participate"
with limitations.

Question: will non-mensans be able to "write" (ie post words
which others can then "read") ... understanding that methods
will differ

thank you,
tracy

"Steve Levinthal" <slevi...@chicago.us.mensa.org> wrote in message
> Bear with me, people.

rian

Jan 10, 2003, 12:53:04 AM1/10/03
Where did all the posts go that I approved?

--
Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant.
The population is growing.

Joseph

Jan 17, 2003, 2:33:37 AM1/17/03
making the DNS point correctly in less than a week is troublesome at
best (all 13 top level server orgs should be informed at least 30 days
in
advance). doing so after the fact, good luck, especially if you did
not inform the top level DNS's. it may take a year. in the mean time,
setting up the old servers to reply with a message/email of the new
server and access protocol/technique will speed things along (at least
if
the new servers and address are ready).

Joseph

Steve Levinthal wrote:

> Bear with me, people.

Joseph

Jan 17, 2003, 2:41:25 AM1/17/03
ahhah, now i understand the underlying reason for the change.

reduced moderator work and tighter control on outside mensa posters.

i applaud the first and question the second, this usenet ng has not,
in my experience been too much troubled. are the moderators having
problems with unworthy/inappropriate posts?

Joseph

Mary wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2003 00:19:31 -0600, "Tracy Yucikas" <tyuc...@cts.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Hi Steve,
> >
> >I've been reading what others say about the "new, improved"
> >forum and have heard that non-Mensans may "participate"
> >with limitations.
> >
> >Question: will non-mensans be able to "write" (ie post words
> >which others can then "read") ... understanding that methods
> >will differ
>

> Tracy,
>
> All e-mail to the e-mail list is also sent to the newsgroup. All
> posts to the newsgroup are also sent to the e-mail list. There are
> just 2 different interfaces for one communication tool.
>
> The only "limitation" is that you must subscribe to the e-mail list
> and you may not post via newsreader software as that will require
> member authentication.
>
> Mary

Steve Levinthal

Jan 24, 2003, 12:16:28 AM1/24/03
On 1/23/03 4:19 PM, in article Xns930A9BCE5F...@207.252.248.9,
"Jerry Hollombe" <poly...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Mary <dev...@us.mensa.org> wrote in
>
>> Mensa is moving forward with the times.
>
> Well, with International's policy, anyway. Usenet isn't going away, we
> are.

Participation in usenet has been decreasing for the past several years. You
can google stories on this as far back as 2000 in the Washington Post, and
other newspapers. Volumes may have increased, due to the sharing of various
binary files.

Will Usenet go away? Nope. Will it ever be as vibrant as it was in its
heyday? Nope. Do I share some remorse at that?

Maybe a little, but I don't want us to turn into our grandparents talking
about the "good old days" either. Not all change is necessarily good, but
it's always going to be there. We're hedging some bets that more members
will participate in a forum that takes place on Mensa soil, with a little
less of the sometimes-creative chaos that is/was Usenet.

Without people like you coming along, things would be further diminished.
I'm glad you'll be there, and (insert the name of your favorite deity here
{or not!}) help me, I hope we won't be able to keep you quiet. ;)

Steve