A Letter from the Churches in the South

steve...@aol.com

Sep 25, 2008, 1:07:11 PM9/25/08
to Mennonite Poverty Forum
This letter was distributed by the Micah Challenge.

To read more about the UN resolution to eradicate poverty, see the
resolution here:
http://www.un.org/millennium/declaration/ares552e.pdf

And see the Micah Challenge summary of it here:
http://www.micahchallenge.us/Home.shtml

Here is the text of the letter:

August, 2008

TO THE CHURCH IN THE UNITED STATES

As the Church of the Lord in what is known as the “Southern” part of
the world, moved by the Holy Spirit to fight for the abundant life
that Jesus Christ offers, we address our Christian family in the
United States, a Church of the same covenant, faith and love. Grace
and Peace to all of our brothers and sisters.

We know your works of love; these works have allowed millions of human
beings for many generations in our countries in the South to receive
the gospel, the Grace of Jesus Christ and the power of His Salvation.
The U.S. church’s untiring missionary effort planted in our lands Hope
in Him who came to reconcile EVERYTHING.

Nevertheless, the political, social and economic situation in the
places where this hope has been announced is increasingly distressing.
Millions of people in the global South are dying of hunger, violence
and injustice. These situations of poverty and pain are not simply the
product of the internal functions of our countries; rather they are
the results of the international policies of the governments that
wield global power.

Therefore, we have this against you, brothers and sisters, that along
with this powerful announcing of the Gospel, the Church from the
United States has not also raised its voice in protest against the
injustices that powerful governments and institutions are inflicting
on the global South - injustices that afflict the lives and ecosystems
of millions of people who, centuries after the proclamation of the
Gospel, still have not seen the sweat of their brow turned into bread.

The worsening inequality and poverty in the South is alarming. Seven
years since the United States and 191 other nations publicly promised
to cut extreme global poverty in half by the year 2015 through the
eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), your country has made only
a little progress towards fulfilling its commitments.
The MDGs should stir us to action because they echo the calls of the
biblical prophets for justice and equity. Further, they are achievable
and measurable markers on the roadmap to end extreme global poverty.

And so we ask you as sisters and brothers, citizens of the wealthiest
most powerful nation on earth, to publicly challenge your candidates
and political leaders – now and after the elections are over - to lead
the world in the struggle to cut global poverty in half by 2015. If
you who know the Truth will not speak for us who will?

The Church in the United States has the opportunity today to be
faithful to the Hope that it preaches. We urge you to remember that
the Hope to which you were called as a messenger demands that you seek
first the Kingdom of God and God’s justice.

Out of love for us, the global Church, in holiness, use your
citizenship responsibly for the benefit of the entire world; it is for
this very reason that the Lord poured out His life on the Cross.

All who have ears, let them hear what the Lord says to His Church.

Ndaba Mazabane
President
Association of Evangelicals in Southern Africa

Bishop Gerry Seale
General Secretary/CEO
Evangelical Association of the Caribbean

Dr. Richard Howell
General Secretary
Evangelical Fellowship of India

Rev Moss Ntlha
General Secretary
Evangelical Alliance of South Africa

C. Rene Padilla
President
Kairos (Peru)

Gahungu Bunini*
General Secretary
Evangelical Alliance of Rwanda
*Signed on with the names of 16 pastors in the Evangelical Alliance
of Rwanda

Pastor Owen Isaacs
General Secretary
Evangelical Fellowship of Botswana

Bishop Efraim Tendero
President
Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches

Rev Heng Cheng
General Secretary/CEO
Evangelical Fellowship of Cambodia

Bishop Paul Mususu
Executive Director/CEO
Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia

Rev Bambang Semedi
General Secretary
Southern Part Sumatera Christian Church

Dr. Reynaldo R. Avante
National Coordinator
Micah Challenge Philippines

Bishop Mano Rumalshah
Bishop
Diocese of Peshawar (Pakistan)

Alfonso Weiland
Co-founder
Paz y Esperanza (Peru)

Erika Izquierdo
Paz y Esperanza (Peru)

Lawrence Tempfwe
National Facilitator
Micah Challenge Zambia

Rev Joe Simfukwe
Principal
Bible College of Central Africa

João Pedro Martins
National Coordinator
Micah Challenge Portugal

Rev Soleman Batti
Chairman
The Toraja Church (Indonesia)

Rev Untung S.K. Wijayaputra
President
The Toraja Mamasa Church (Indonesia)

d’Karlo Pyrba
Director
YABIMA Foundation (Indonesia)

Semuel Takajanji
Director
Kuda Putih Sejahtera Foundation (Indonesia)

Rev Iskandar Saher
Executive Director
Center for the Development of Holistic Ministry (Indonesia)

Rev Michael Dasey
Rector
Gungahlin Anglican Church (Australia)

Rev Geoffrey Taylor
Director
SoulSupply (Australia)

Rev. Paul Craig
Senior Pastor
Diamond Valley Baptist Church (Australia)

Rev Greg Templeton
Pastor
Sydenham Baptist Church (Australia)

Morris Alex
Pastor
Souls Outreach Church

Captain Robert Casburn,
Commanding Officer
The salvation Army Northern Waves Fellowship (Australia)