Prostitution in India

steve...@aol.com

Apr 3, 2009, 1:33:07 PM4/3/09
to Mennonite Poverty Forum
India: Watchdog Says 73,000 Enter Prostitution Annually

Mission News Network reports that of the estimated 900,000 sex workers
in India, a full third of those are believe to be children with no
escape. Watchdog India Partners says many of those were tricked into
leaving neighboring Nepal or Sri Lanka, or another Indian state. Once
away from home, India's 3,000 dialects often prevents them from
understanding the language around them, decreasing their chances of
escape. Kaytie Fielder, a regional representative for India Partners,
says social and economic stability go hand in hand for impoverished
countries. "The more we can address these issues, the more we can put
money into helping these people and start making that shift. When we
can protect the vulnerable and empower them, that is going to bring
such a shift in our economy."