Looking for setting to make some parts

GrtBaldini

Jan 24, 2016, 2:03:17 PM1/24/16
to MendelMax Support
Any body have some decent settings to make some parts? I'm using ABS and updating my MendelMax with a new x axis system. I have the parts ready but keep getting splits and so forth. I built a heat box around it to contain heat but wondering if I bump up the hot end temp 5 degrees. I don't want to melt my hot end though!

Michael Anton

Jan 24, 2016, 6:26:26 PM1/24/16
to MendelMax Support
Welcome to the fun of printing with ABS.  I've had many parts split, and many parts not split.  It depends on many factors, and the shape of the part has a huge effect. I typically print ABS at around 240C.

Be careful with a heat box, as this can start to get into the softening zone for printer parts made out of PLA.  I tried this, and was using a Wade's extruder.  The gear mounted to the stepper shaft softened, and started slipping due to the increased ambient temperature, which raised the stepper temperature enough to really soften the gear.

Mike

Triffid Hunter

Jan 26, 2016, 12:54:51 AM1/26/16
to mend...@googlegroups.com
I just wrap a towel around my printer if ABS starts splitting, usually sorts it nicely since it's caused by cool breezes causing a combination of shrinkage and embrittlement that leads to splitting.

ABS ideally wants to be dropped to ~100°C as quickly as possible, then held there, so having the cooler fan simply recirculate air in the chamber is good.

As Michael Anton says, beware of any PLA parts that may soften from the heat - see http://triffid-hunter.no-ip.info/101_0183.JPG and http://triffid-hunter.no-ip.info/101_0184.JPG for what happened to my X motor mount! I printed a new one in ABS and all is well.

GrtBaldini

Jan 27, 2016, 5:24:17 PM1/27/16
to MendelMax Support
I've had pretty decent luck over the past few years and now trying to print some actually parts to change things is driving me crazy! The only thing I'm really going to try is kicking my hot end up to 235. And with my enclosure I'll just monitor things during the print. Thanks for the info guys...

Chris Johnson

Feb 15, 2016, 11:50:53 AM2/15/16
to MendelMax Support
Don't know if it will help, but I print parts for ABS parts for printers at 243C and bed at 95-98C.  At 235, my parts would split if the room wasn't really warm.  This took care of it.
I use E3d V6's, and adding a Volcano on one to speed things up.

Digger