MendelMax 1.0 extruder

Qianqian Fang

May 25, 2016, 4:34:48 PM5/25/16
to MendelMax Support
hi guys

I bought a MendelMax 1.0 printer kit 5 to 6 years ago. Only made a few prints and had trouble getting good quality objects. So I shelved it for several years. Now I finally have time to play with it again.

I know the printer's design has upgraded several times. Probably it got better and better. Still, I am hoping to resurrect my printer instead of buying a new one, at least for now.

At some point, my extruder nozzle got clogged, I removed it to clean, but now I could not find it anymore. Does anyone know if the nozzle assembly (I believe it is part of the "Wade" extruder) can be bought anywhere? links and part numbers are appreciated!

My current extruder assembly (wo the nozzle) is attached.

also, are there any new extruder design that that worth upgrade? I don't know if my MendelMax 1 board supports these new extruders.

thanks, love to hear your comments, especially from those MM1 owners.

Qianqian
IMG_20160525_163135.jpg

Mike Payson

May 26, 2016, 1:47:45 AM5/26/16
to mend...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that is an ancient kit, I didn't sell many like that at all. That is one of the Makergear extruders. I would recommend replacing it with an E3D V6 at this point. It is pretty forgiving, and if you ever get a clog, the all metal design lets you disassemble it and clean it with a torch.

We sell them here: http://store.makerstoolworks.com/extruders-and-parts/e3d-v6-3mm-direct/

You will need the 12V version.

The extruder design itself is solid. We mainly stopped using a similar design due to too many failures of the gearbox, but that was a relatively uncommon problem, and not a reason to replace the extruder itself unless it fails on you.

Good luck!
Mike

www.MakersToolWorks.com - Tools for Makers

Qianqian Fang

Aug 3, 2016, 3:02:42 PM8/3/16
to MendelMax Support, mi...@makerstoolworks.com
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 1:47:45 AM UTC-4, Mike Payson wrote:
Wow, that is an ancient kit, I didn't sell many like that at all. That is one of the Makergear extruders. I would recommend replacing it with an E3D V6 at this point. It is pretty forgiving, and if you ever get a clog, the all metal design lets you disassemble it and clean it with a torch.

We sell them here: http://store.makerstoolworks.com/extruders-and-parts/e3d-v6-3mm-direct/

You will need the 12V version.

The extruder design itself is solid. We mainly stopped using a similar design due to too many failures of the gearbox, but that was a relatively uncommon problem, and not a reason to replace the extruder itself unless it fails on you.

sorry for the slowness in response, and thanks Mike for your feedback. I just ordered two E3D V6 J-heads from ebay (one for 3mm filament, 1 for 1.75mm filaments), hopefully it will fit my extruder assembly.

Qianqian

Mike Payson

Aug 3, 2016, 6:55:36 PM8/3/16
to mend...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to note, that is not an E3D, it is a Chinese "E3D-like object". It looks the same on the surface, but with hot ends, the devil is in the details. It will probably work fine for you, but without the PTFE liner that the genuine E3D has, it will be much more prone to heat creep and jamming. Stick with relatively short retracts to minimize the problems. If you see jamming you are probably printing too hot.