MendelMax 1.5 scaling document

EberleG

Feb 25, 2016, 1:28:28 AM2/25/16
to MendelMax Support
Hi all, I'm planning a MendelMax 1.5 build and want to scale the bed to 300x300.  Looking around and there seems to be lots of reference to a scaling document, but all links to this are now dead (as is the original mendelmax website?).  Does anyone have this document so I can plan the extrusion lengths I'll need to use to accommodate the larger bed size?

Sean Mitchell

Feb 25, 2016, 1:37:46 AM2/25/16
to mend...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean this here? It's actually pretty easy to scale if you don't mind your Z-height increasing a bit.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:59 AM, EberleG <gebe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all, I'm planning a MendelMax 1.5 build and want to scale the bed to 300x300.  Looking around and there seems to be lots of reference to a scaling document, but all links to this are now dead (as is the original mendelmax website?).  Does anyone have this document so I can plan the extrusion lengths I'll need to use to accommodate the larger bed size?

Michael Anton

Feb 25, 2016, 5:01:39 AM2/25/16
to MendelMax Support
Go up in rod diameters too.  I built one for a 300x300 bed (increased extrusion lengths by 100mm), and I increased the Y and Z axis rods to 10mm.  If I were to do it again, I would increase X to 10mm, Z to 10mm, and Y to 12mm.

Mike

EberleG

Feb 25, 2016, 4:37:14 PM2/25/16
to MendelMax Support, nospam20140...@muzik.ca
That's exactly what I was after, thanks!!

EberleG

Feb 25, 2016, 4:38:13 PM2/25/16
to MendelMax Support
Thanks for the tips!  I was thinking of 10mm smooth rods, but now thinking 12 on the y-axis might be the go.

Sean Mitchell

Feb 25, 2016, 4:40:14 PM2/25/16
to mend...@googlegroups.com
For my Y axis I have one of the linear rails from the now defunct trinitylabs, which I'm extremely happy with. You may want to take a look at the rail solutions rather than smooth rods...

Michael Anton

Feb 25, 2016, 5:35:50 PM2/25/16
to MendelMax Support, nospam20140...@muzik.ca
Actually some of the supported rails that are used for Kossel printers would work really well on the Y axis, especially since they are far more precise.

Mike