E3D Volcano

Michael Moore

May 4, 2016, 1:29:17 AM5/4/16
to MendelMax Support
Hello everyone,
About 2 years ago I put together a MendelMax2 with a E3D-V6 extruder. I have had a lot of fun and a fair amount of success after much experimentation with settings etc. I have 2 questions if I may. Recently while running a large print with 1.75 mm ABS, I had a nozzle clog that backed  up into the heat break. I suspected that the thermistor may have been going out and after clearing the clog when I went to start my printer up the nozzle would not heat. My question is am I correct in thinking that one of the possible causes of such a clog could be from too hot of temperature at the extruder combined with too slow of a feed rate of ABS?
Another question is I have ordered the Volcano kit to try out on some larger prints. Would anybody happen to have any settings that I could try out using 1.75 mm ABS?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any input any of you may be able to provide!

Mike Moore

Bfisch1983

May 4, 2016, 9:46:18 AM5/4/16
to MendelMax Support
I think most firmware shuts off the hot end if it doesn't detect the thermistor for safety.  I have an E3D hot end as well and it looks like the strain relief on the thermistor leads could use some work.  I had mine disconnect in the middle of a print and shutoff the ho end.  The hot end will no longer heat, unless I wiggle the wires around and hold them in just the right place.  I haven't done a complete debug and fix yet, but I suspect the lead is breaking right at the screw that holds it in place.  You may have a similar problem.

I do know that heat traveling to far up the ABS filament can cause clogs, but that shouldn't prevent your hotend from heating up.
-Bill

Michael Moore

May 10, 2016, 1:09:56 AM5/10/16
to MendelMax Support
Thanks Bill,
I just got home from working out of town. I will look into it further. I had the thought that maybe I had damaged the thermistor having disassembled the hot end a few too many times. Thanks for the information. I will post what I figure out.

Mike