Barcode rotation toggle

MGL

Sep 6, 2021, 11:32:58 PM9/6/21
to mementodatabase
Is it possible to disable screen rotation in the barcode scanner? Our program uses vertically-oriented barcodes and we can't disable screen rotation at the level of the operating system. Will have to pass on this software if there's no option.

Er Mo

Sep 7, 2021, 1:34:42 PM9/7/21
to mementodatabase
Hallo
Nein . Das drehen macht das Betriebssystem , da hat Memento nichts zu tun .

Hello
No . The operating system does the turning, Memento has nothing to do with it.

Rob L

Sep 7, 2021, 3:43:43 PM9/7/21
to mementodatabase
I'm really confused by what you mean, tbh.

2D barcodes are all the same way round. How can they be vertical? What "program" are you referring to?
I can't see how any barcode scanners on android are going to behave any differently. I've used barcodes a lot on android, and there's really nothing different about Memento's barcode capability (I'm pretty sure it's using the same engine that's very widely used).

Recent versions of android can be set to rotate the display optionally - so that an icon appears overlaid if you rotate the screen, and you'd need to clock on it to get it to rotate. If that isn't good enough, there are apps available in the Play store that allow you to control rotation on a per app basis, if that's what you need. There are also barcode keyboards that would mean you could use 'text' input to input the barcode instead of Memento's built-in capability, by switching the keyboard to the barcode keyboard. You can use it just like any other on-screen keyboard, but you can click a button to scan the barcode and return the text. Or you could use a hardware bluetooth barcode scanner which is faster anyway.

It seems like an odd basis to rule Memento out on, frankly, and I feel perhaps there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

MGL

Sep 7, 2021, 4:38:00 PM9/7/21
to mementodatabase
General apologies, I must admit to half-assing my initial posting out of a cynical conviction that I would receive no constructive engagement. Let me provide some more detail.

1) What I mean by "vertically oriented" is that we have barcodes printed on plastic stakes set in plant pots, such that the bars themselves are horizontal and the barcode as a whole is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Memento calls the barcode scanner app with the reading axis set to horizontal, so it cannot read these barcodes. Simply rotating the screen is not an option because the tablet detects the rotation and rotates the UI to match, creating a conundrum distinctly Tantalean in its contours. We also cannot rotate the barcodes themselves because it is not acceptable to our workflow or practices to be removing each stake from its pot and replacing it each time a record must be updated, and the stakes are not flexible enough to simply bend them into the right orientation for a moment. We therefore need either to be able to disable screen rotation (so that we can rotate the screen to the right orientation to read the barcode without it compensating) or to be able to specify through Memento that the barcode scanner be called with a vertically-oriented reading axis.

1.25) It is noteworthy that screen rotation can be turned off in the Barcode Scanner app itself, but this makes no difference in how it behaves when called by Memento.

1.5) Sorry to confuse, by "program" I mean our research program (https://mcgregorlab.uga.edu/ -- I'm Jesse, hi.), for which we use inventory software to track plants and seedlots.

2) "Recent versions of android can be set to rotate the display optionally" -- Our tablet is quite old and we wish to avoid purchasing another. It is running Android 5.1.1 and cannot be updated. This version of Android does not have any options whatsoever with regards to screen rotation.

3) "there are apps available in the Play store that allow you to control rotation on a per app basis" -- This I did not know about, thank you. We may consider this as a potential workaround.

4) "There are also barcode keyboards..." -- Very interesting, this I also had never heard of before. We do still have a fair amount of text data to input, so as long as these barcode keyboards also contain the full suite of alphanumeric characters this may work.

5) "you could use a hardware bluetooth barcode scanner which is faster anyway" -- We actually already own one such device, but have found that nobody can spare enough hands to make use of it while doing rounds in the greenhouses. After some trialing we have developed a marked preference for scanning via the tablet.

Thank you very much for your answer, this has given me some leads to pursue. I still wish Memento had an option that would help with the situation, but if every system in the lab worked right out of the box there wouldn't be much of a job for me :P

Bill Crews

Sep 8, 2021, 1:00:39 AM9/8/21
to MGL, mementodatabase
I don't use barcodes know only the basics about them, and this conversation is going all over the place, & I can't follow it.

HOWEVER, what I can say is that mobile Memento with some JavaScript + either MacroDroid or Tasker (need one of these only if the Memento JavaScript System object (or one of its sisters (See https://wiki.mementodatabase.com/index.php/Memento_JavaScript_Library#Interaction_with_the_system) won't do the job) should do the trick, and if not, Zapier might be able to help. Of course, that means you need to know some JavaScript & may have to learn a bit about the use of MacroDroid or Tasker.

It's involved, but once you start learning about some of the main tools that help to do Android things, a lot of previously difficult tasks can be done, and maybe you already know some of that stuff.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021, 23:33 MGL <jku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to disable screen rotation in the barcode scanner? Our program uses vertically-oriented barcodes and we can't disable screen rotation at the level of the operating system. Will have to pass on this software if there's no option.

Er Mo

Sep 8, 2021, 2:03:50 PM9/8/21
to mementodatabase
Hallo
Zu 4 : www.tec-it.com Ist eine Tastatur mit der man auch Text scannen kann und da Einfügen wo man Schreibt . Habe die mit Memento getesten und beim Scannen ist die Ausrichtung von Barcode egal . Geht in allen Richtungen .

Hello
To 4: www.tec-it.com Is a keyboard with which you can also scan text and insert it where you write. I tested them with Memento and the orientation of the barcode does not matter when scanning. Go in all directions.

infosta...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 4:01:18 PM9/14/21
to mementodatabase
Hi,

Try to touch the screen and keep it there while rotate the phone or tablet , It will lock the screen rotation and you can  scan the barcode.