Joining the Memento team

Tony G

Jan 27, 2018, 8:44:07 PM1/27/18
to mementodatabase
Hi, as explained in my User page in the Memento Wiki, I'm just another happy Memento user, now helping Bill to manage this forum and the wiki.

Now that Bill has an extra set of hands, you are (more) welcome to post (more) comments, questions, and suggestions for changes to the wiki and forum.
Where possible, please be specific about pages that require new content or updates.
As indicated in another post, tag your notes for 'forum' or 'wiki' so that we can easily find them.
We'll try to prioritize and address everything we can.
We're doing this stuff for free and as time permits, so please be gentle. :)

Thanks!
Signed ... one of a couple Tony G's here...

Michael BR

May 6, 2018, 3:29:30 AM5/6/18
to mementodatabase
Hello Tony,

Nice to see that there's more people in the team!

Since you offered,,, I'd like to draw your attention to the past questions on iOS version of Memento. I'm on the same boat: although I do have an Android device, I'm forced to carry an iPhone all of the time (and often leave the Android at home).

So my question is: are there any plans whatsoever to create an iOS version, even if it just has some of the features of the Android one (at least to view and edit a synced database)?

I think one of the main gaps I see nowadays for this type of app is that there is not one app out there that can connect a same database between Android and iOS. The first one that does will get plenty of users.

Thanks

Michael

Bill Crews

May 6, 2018, 3:47:12 AM5/6/18
to Michael BR, mementodatabase
Neither Tony nor I really know what the developer might do. However, he has stated several times over the years that he has NO plans to support iOS in the future.

I imagine the reason might in some large part due to the completely different way apps are implemented on iOS. Memento now supports Android, Windows, MacOS, Linux, and maybe ChromeOS using a mostly common Java-centric code base. There could also be a religious reason; I don't know.

Still, all it would take is running across someone with money and/or a market for it, and unless the religion is stronger than the money, it could probably happen.

I really don't expect it, though.

Michael BR

May 6, 2018, 7:28:55 AM5/6/18
to mementodatabase
Bill, thanks for the honest reply.

The market definitely is there. There are no apps out there (and I've done recurrent reserves researches over the years) that connect a same database/Google Sheet in both iOS and Android.

But I understand the reasons why the developer would not.

Meanwhile I'm able to do something in Google Sheets for iOS.

I've done some limited stuff with Google Forms but it's very frustrating, nothing like Memento.

Thanks a lot

Michael

Bill Crews

May 6, 2018, 9:38:26 AM5/6/18
to Michael BR, mementodatabase
I'm pretty sure iOS support is in Memento.UserVoice.com. Make sure your vote is in. We can only wait and hope.