Google Synchronization with Google Sheets - Memento Desktop

alang

Feb 2, 2023, 4:54:09 AM2/2/23
to mementodatabase
Is Sync to Google Sheets supported on Memento Desktop?  Using a Mac, I do not see the fields mentioned in the instructions below to set up the Sync.  Thank you.

I do not see the following described in the link above..
  1. Link the library to a new Sheets file on Google Drive by opening the Library Entries List screen and then its Action menu. If the library is already set up to synchronize with a Sheets file, the option will be entitled "Sync with Google Sheets". If not, it will be entitled "Link To Google Sheets". Since we are initiating sync, select Link to Google Sheets.

Bill Crews

Feb 2, 2023, 10:54:53 AM2/2/23
to alang, mementodatabase
So, you see neither Link to Google Sheets nor Sync with Google Sheets?

I don't have a Mac to check it on, but that would raise the same question in my mind as it does in yours. As I see it, it should show you one or the other.

If no one in the forum confirms they are syncing with Google Sheets from a Mac, then I think it's a valid question for the developer to answer.

Now, if you have a smartphone, you could create the Link on your phone, and in Settings on your phone, you could terminate the linkage on your phone. Since it's really the Cloud linking to Sheets and not the client platform, that should work. I know this works on an Android phone, but I have no iPhone with which to check it there.

Please let us know what you find out.

Er Mo

Feb 2, 2023, 12:42:28 PM2/2/23
to mementodatabase
Hallo
Mir ist nicht bekannt das die PC Version eine Verknüpfung mit Google Sheets herstellen kann

Hi
I'm not aware that the PC version can link to Google Sheets.

Ernst

alang

Feb 2, 2023, 8:55:01 PM2/2/23
to mementodatabase
Thank you for your reply Bill.  Yes, creating the link on another device would be fine.  Unfortunately, I do not see the option on my iPhone either.  I am limited to Apple devices.

How can I get the question to the developer?

Thank you again.

Bill Crews

Feb 2, 2023, 9:15:33 PM2/2/23
to alang, mementodatabase
Sup...@MementoDatabase.com

alang

Feb 2, 2023, 9:20:49 PM2/2/23
to mementodatabase
Oh!  I see that on the contact page now.  Ok, I'll send an email and certainly report back here what I hear.  Thanks again.

alang

Feb 5, 2023, 6:45:22 AM2/5/23
to mementodatabase
The developer replied and indicated:

1. The iOS version does not support sync with Google Sheets at this time.
2. The desktop version does not support sync with Google Sheets for any platform at this time.

It was good to have this clarified.  Hopefully, the functionality will be added in time.  Thanks again for your help.

Bill Crews

Feb 5, 2023, 7:32:28 AM2/5/23
to alang, mementodatabase
As a user primarily of the original Android Memento, I never realized that none of the other client apps supported turning Sync to Sheets on and off. That's all a client has to do, since it's the cloud that performs the sync. Maybe sync means the client app updates the cloud library more frequently? Even if it does, it is such a minor feature that it seems ridiculous to me that sync is not supported anywhere but Android.

All these years, the more I learn about Memento on other platforms, the more I'm happy with my Android Memento platform. The big exception to that is the JasperSoft report writer, supported, I think, only in the desktop edition. Access to that would be nice. I'm beginning to realise that many of the things documented in the wiki as mobile edition features may, in fact, be Android-only features. I wish he'd tell us these things.

Als Benutzer hauptsächlich des ursprünglichen Android Memento ist mir nie aufgefallen, dass keine der anderen Client-Apps das Ein- und Ausschalten von Sync to Sheets unterstützt.  Das ist alles, was ein Client tun muss, da es die Cloud ist, die die Synchronisierung durchführt.  Vielleicht bedeutet die Synchronisierung, dass die Client-App die Cloud-Bibliothek häufiger aktualisiert?  Selbst wenn es so ist, ist es ein so kleines Feature, dass es mir lächerlich erscheint, dass die Synchronisierung nirgendwo außer Android unterstützt wird.

Je mehr ich in all den Jahren über Memento auf anderen Plattformen lerne, desto zufriedener bin ich mit meiner Android-Memento-Plattform.  Die große Ausnahme ist der Report Writer von JasperSoft, der, glaube ich, nur in der Desktop-Edition unterstützt wird.  Der Zugang wäre schön.  Mir wird allmählich klar, dass viele der Dinge, die im Wiki als Funktionen der mobilen Edition dokumentiert sind, in Wirklichkeit reine Android-Funktionen sein können.  Ich wünschte, er würde uns diese Dinge sagen.