Memento for Desktop detected as Trojan by Windows Defender

Miguel Candelario

Sep 23, 2016, 12:40:42 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
Hi, yesterday installed desktop version (64 bit) on my W10 computer and today Windows Defender has detected as a Trojan. I guess that it's a False Postive and i only wanted to warn about the case. I attached a screenshot of Microsoft Security Portal.

Nothing that gets me ocuppied but gues you would like to know.

Thank you.
Memento.jpg

Eugene Kartoyev

Sep 23, 2016, 12:57:38 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
No, it doesn't look like false positive, considering the threat level as severe.

I wonder if your version of Memento got infected with a JS Trojan on your personal computer?

This alert can only be confirmed if someone else runs into the same issue.

Normally, Java programs (like Memento) run­in a "sandbox" envìronment, which makes them so limited in access to system functions, that it becomes a­bsolutely impossible ­to write a virus or a­ trojan (meaning a program penetrating into and altering another program's code) -- ­or even become suspicious for an anti-virus...

Miguel Candelario

Sep 23, 2016, 1:16:56 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
Well, actually i can't rebate your argument because it's true BUT, if the file infected locally, it's the only one infected. AS you can see in the attached screenshots, the download itself appears as infected, which got me pretty amazed. I'm not saying that i'm not infected; if i'm infected no one software in my computer detects the infection (nor Malwarebytes, nor Panda Cloud Security). So if you can give some clues about any infection browser related or something, it would be great. AS you can see in the screenshots the file download URL is from the Memento's Web and Windows Defender detects in the Memento.ex file and Registry entries.

Would be great to detect the infection if you think it's not a False positive.
memento 1.jpg
memento 2.jpg
Memento download.jpg

admin

Sep 23, 2016, 1:24:49 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
It is false positive.
Memento Database is a Java application that is packaged to the exe.
The problem with the packer.
I've updated the packer and made a new installation package, please check again.

admin

Sep 23, 2016, 1:29:18 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
This is result for the new package:
Unfortunately antivirus from Microsoft is not available in this report.

Miguel Candelario

Sep 23, 2016, 1:30:31 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
Ok, thanks for the update. Love your app.

ntrim

Sep 23, 2016, 4:14:07 PM9/23/16
to mementodatabase
I had the same problem. I disabled Windows Defender so I can work with Memento.

John C

Sep 24, 2016, 10:41:50 PM9/24/16
to mementodatabase
I just had this happen tonight on my corporate laptop. The security software keeps Uninstalling memento.

Is there any way I can get out of this and install memento?

Thank

John C

Sep 24, 2016, 11:01:23 PM9/24/16
to mementodatabase
Can't install memento. Unfortunately I don't have the power to change any security settings.

Can still use on my tablet though.
20160924225937.png

Matt R

Sep 25, 2016, 10:03:04 PM9/25/16
to mementodatabase
Just installed the 1.0.4 tonight and had the exact same thing get detected from windows defender.  Is this program really safe?

John C

Sep 25, 2016, 10:17:52 PM9/25/16
to mementodatabase
Must be something goofy in memento all of a sudden.

I use another app called fiinote which h months ago started running on Windows too. It's been fine. It does syncing with Android etc.

It's not a database just a notes app like Evernote.

Let's see what happens.

John C

Sep 25, 2016, 10:17:54 PM9/25/16
to mementodatabase

ntrim

Sep 26, 2016, 1:17:50 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
The problem still exists!

Amundsf

Sep 26, 2016, 5:09:01 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
To quote admin:
The problem is with exe-file extracting the program.

Until this is fixed you can use the Java version that is found in the bottom of this page:
http://mementodatabase.com/#desktop

Neal Kay

Sep 26, 2016, 7:34:32 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
I had the same experience this morning.  When I began the installation, a popup warned the package might contain a virus.  I barged past this and installed Momento.  Windows Defender immediately identified it as malware and deleted the .exe file.

Neal Kay

Sep 26, 2016, 8:08:49 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
I'm unable to extract the Java file.
Untitled picture.png

John C

Sep 26, 2016, 8:59:20 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
I was able to download and install the jar version. Everything seems to be good.

Neal, try putting the jar download into your downloads folder into a folder named jar. That's what I did. You may be having problems because you are working in the "programs" folder.

John C

Sep 26, 2016, 9:38:08 AM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
BTW it's not only memento that is experiencing this problem. I have a few other programs on my windows 7 laptop that have been uninstalled and or are not working. Some new decision on security software or something.

Neal Kay

Sep 26, 2016, 1:47:20 PM9/26/16
to mementodatabase
Thanks John, got a clean extraction as suggested.  I'm new to jar files.  Can you tell me what the executable is?

Thanks again,

Neal

John C

Sep 26, 2016, 2:18:26 PM9/26/16