Desktop Version Location Field

Matt Krzywonski

Dec 12, 2017, 11:26:38 AM12/12/17
to mementodatabase
I'm using both the desktop and mobile versions and I am currently building a bid/job estimation library and I'm having some issues with the "Location" field on the desktop version. Is there any way to do an in-map search on the desktop version like you can on the mobile version? My basic workaround on this is to do all of the data entry on the desktop and then go into the mobile version and search the address. It works but the goal with Memento is time saving and efficiency so I'm hoping I don't have to use this band-aid much longer...

David Peck

Jan 30, 2018, 9:59:12 AM1/30/18
to mementodatabase
I would also like the location field to have the search facility like the mobile version please. There is a bug with the Location field on a PC in that it often crashes Memento when I click the button and loses all the entries I have made into the database since the last save.

Bill Crews

Jan 30, 2018, 10:56:01 AM1/30/18
to David Peck, mementodatabase
Your symptom is interesting, since Memento saves each entry fully to the library and to "the database" each time an entry is saved rather than canceled. Opening and closing a library does nothing to the database. Maybe the "losing all entries" syndrome is related to the issue that causes the crash?

Matt Krzywonski

Jan 30, 2018, 12:09:28 PM1/30/18
to mementodatabase
David,
I haven't experienced your issue in the same way, but just to be clear, are you losing all of your library entries or just the currently open entry when you try to open the location map? I have had the same bug when using the location feild but I only lose the data I was entering on the current record.

David Peck

Feb 2, 2018, 2:00:39 PM2/2/18
to mementodatabase
Bill and Matt - thanks for the quick response. I have checked the details with my wife who is entering the data and it is only the current record that is lost when Memento crashes when using the location field as you said. I have asked my wife to let me know the next time it comes up with the error so I can record what it says (I tried a few entries and could not repeat the error). I did wonder about not using the location field, but then we would lose all the addresses she has already entered, is there a way around that?

Bill Crews

Feb 2, 2018, 4:03:26 PM2/2/18
to David Peck, mementodatabase
Sorry. I'm mostly clueless regarding a Location field. It seems to allow you to tap a location on a map to approximate what the address might be, right? So, you can have an Address field that is slave to the Location field, but not the other way around, right? I haven't had much luck using them together.

This is from memory about something I've always wondered about, so if it doesn't make sense, please just disregard it. I'm sorry I can't help you more.

David Peck

Feb 2, 2018, 5:31:44 PM2/2/18
to mementodatabase
That sounds correct for how the location field works on the PC. On the mobile there is a search button that makes it much more user friendly. I used the Contact template on the mobile app and it had the location field in it so I used that not knowing the issues I would have when using it on a PC.