I dunno about you but I hate
to hunt too much for information. So the first thing I'm doing here is
to help add Tags to your forum posts.
A tag provides a way to categorize
content so that it can be found more easily in a search.
I don't want
to go too crazy with this but I've been adding to the list of standard
tags that we can use, and I've been going back to start tagging existing
posts. Over time, with more and more content tagged, this
will allow us all to find information more quickly so that we can get
on with our database challenges, and it should help to eliminate some
duplicate posts here.
Of course that only works if people actually use tags on their posts, and if people search for topics using tags:
To tag your posts:
- Look at the bottom of the text area when entering a new post here. You cannot tag someone else's post or a response to a post.
- Select 1 to 3 tags from the list. 5 are allowed but I'd like to reserve extra tagging for larger discussions that really do have more content.
- We'll re-tag posts, and add new tags to the list as required.
- Look at the top of the main forum page to find
- You can also see tags applied to individual posts if you are using the Standard or Detail view for the Google Groups page.
- If you click one of those tags on a discussion, you'll jump to the list of all posts currently associated with that tag. (No, I don't know a way yet to filter with multiple tags.)
Please be patient as new tags get created to categorize older threads. This is a manual process and I only have so much time - but I'm willing to do it! :)
Also, please forgive differences of opinion if you'd prefer a topic to be something like "date_fields" rather than "dates". Decisions are being made on the fly and it's tough to go back and change, so let's work with whatever we have and try to make changes later.
We'll be adding cross-references like this to
the wiki too, all in the name of providing faster access to information
we can all use.If you have questions about how to add, find, or use Google Groups Tags,
please Google for answers so that we aren't providing support for Google
Groups here, thanks.