pywb Memento extensions

Herbert Van de Sompel

Mar 1, 2018, 11:55:33 AM3/1/18
to memen...@googlegroups.com, Herbert Van de Sompel
hi all,

I would like to draw your attention to work that is ongoing in relation to pywb, which is extending the Memento protocol with extra negotiation capabilities using the Prefer/Preference-Applied HTTP headers:

https://github.com/mementoweb/rfc-extensions/issues/7

This proposal directly relates to a discussion that was started early 2016 and that culminated in this blog post that pertains to requesting Mementos e.g. without rewritten links, without banner:

http://ws-dl.blogspot.com/2016/08/2016-08-15-mementos-in-raw-take-two.html

The extension proposed by Ilya Kremer should be of interest to everyone on this list involved in Memento implementations. I encourage you to provide feedback to this proposal, preferably in the above GitHub issue.

Cheers

Herbert

--
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping

==

Andy J

Mar 1, 2018, 12:13:35 PM3/1/18
to Memento Development
Thanks Herbert,

We (UK Web Archive) have funded this work in an attempt to push this concept forward. It is not intended to be a final solution, but to provide something concrete to experiment with in order to see what issues arise. This group's feedback would be most welcome, but you should be aware that we're only funding a few days work on this feature so we may not be able to act on feedback that requires significant changes (this time around at least).

Best wishes,
Andy Jackson

Herbert Van de Sompel

Mar 1, 2018, 12:29:05 PM3/1/18
On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Andy J <anja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Herbert,

We (UK Web Archive) have funded this work in an attempt to push this concept forward. It is not intended to be a final solution, but to provide something concrete to experiment with in order to see what issues arise. This group's feedback would be most welcome, but you should be aware that we're only funding a few days work on this feature so we may not be able to act on feedback that requires significant changes (this time around at least).

working code is one part of the successful IETF mantra. rough consensus the other. that's why I felt it was important to share this effort with the list.

thanks for the work!

Cheers

Herbert

Best wishes,
Andy Jackson

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 16:55:33 UTC, herbert wrote:
[...]

---

Ilya Kreymer

Mar 1, 2018, 1:09:20 PM3/1/18
to memen...@googlegroups.com, Herbert Van de Sompel
Hi,

Thanks Herbert for sharing, and thanks Andy for supporting this work!

I just wanted to add that, now that a Prefer header implementation exists, it will definitely make it into a future pywb release at some point, hopefully after some feedback from the Memento community!

In particular, it would be good to know if the current set of preferences ("raw", "banner-only", "rewritten") is well-defined, or if other preferences should be considered, for example, in relation to http header rewriting. I think it is important to try to define the preferences as unambiguously as possible to be more broadly useful across different implementations.

I'd definitely welcome any feedback or questions from the Memento community either on here or on the github issue.

Thanks again,
Ilya

Herbert Van de Sompel

Mar 1, 2018, 5:24:11 PM3/1/18