How to Memento-enable a site?

joheben

Dec 9, 2010, 8:02:17 PM12/9/10
to Memento Development
Dear Memento project.

In order for this to become popular you must make it clear how anyone
can Memento-enable their sites. After spending a while looking at
www.mementoweb.org it is not at all clear what needs to be done.

I would suggest that you create a step-to-step guide.

If the right first step is to register a user at www.purl.org, then
sadly that is broken:
Create Failed: undefined (500)
Error creating new resource: joheben

I am giving up on Memento for now.

Herbert Van de Sompel

Dec 9, 2010, 8:41:47 PM12/9/10
to memen...@googlegroups.com, Memento Development
Thanks for your interest in Memento.

Agreed that a step-by-step guide needs to be created. We actually used to have something up, but took it down because it had become outdated.

The specification itself that explains Memento in detail is at:

http://www.mementoweb.org/guide/rfc/ID/

But I agree that can not be considered an implementation guideline or tutorial, and there's a need for one. We will work on it.

I am not sure where you get the PURL idea from.

Greetings

Herbert

Herbert Van de Sompel

Dec 9, 2010, 9:12:18 PM12/9/10
to memen...@googlegroups.com
I think I better understand your question, now. If, as a web server, you want to put a HTTP Link header in that points at Memento TimeGates, then this is what you can do when you have an Apache web server running:

http://www.mementoweb.org/tools/apache/

Cheers

Herbert

Sent from my iPad

joheben

Dec 18, 2010, 1:17:37 PM12/18/10
to Memento Development
Herbert,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

However, I already found the information for configuring teh Apache
server. According to the instruction there shall be a link in the
Apache header response that points to
http://purl.org/memento/timegate/ (or am I mistaken?). That is why I
thought that some account needs to be setup at purl.org.

If there is no supporting "archival account" that periodically scans
the web server and stores timestamped versions of web pages, how can
this possibly work?

/ Johan E. Bengtsson

On Dec 10, 3:12 am, Herbert Van de Sompel <hvds...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I better understand your question, now. If, as a web server, you want to put a HTTP Link header in that points at Memento TimeGates,  then this is what you can do when you have an Apache web server running:
>
>  http://www.mementoweb.org/tools/apache/
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 18:02, joheben <johebenh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Memento project.
>
> > In order for this to become popular you must make it clear how anyone
> > can Memento-enable their sites. After spending a while looking at
> >www.mementoweb.orgit is not at all clear what needs to be done.
>
> > I would suggest that you create a step-to-step guide.
>
> > If the right first step is to register a user atwww.purl.org, then

Robert Sanderson

Dec 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM12/20/10
to memen...@googlegroups.com

Hi Johan,

Memento does not aim to provide storage solutions, there are already plenty of those.
You might consider the Internet Archive, or for more 'on-demand' archiving, Archive-It and WebCitation.

The purl timegate redirects to the timegate aggregator, which currently is hosted at Los Alamos National Laboratory, but in the future we expect to be run elsewhere.  The reason for the redirect is to ensure that clients do not experience any break in service when we swap to a different aggregator.

Hope that helps,

Rob Sanderson
Scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Michael Nelson

Dec 18, 2010, 3:07:29 PM12/18/10
to Memento Development

Hi Johan,

Having your server link to http://purl.org/memento/timegate/ will cause
Memento clients to talk to the timegate aggregator, which will check 10+
public archives for the appropriate pages. This of course assumes that
public archives have been crawling your site; if the site is very new it
might not have been crawled & archived yet.

You can use MementoFox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/100298/

to browse your site as it existed at some point in time and see if it is
archived.

If it is not archived, you can do several things:

1. request a crawl from alexa:

http://www.alexa.com/help/webmasters#crawl_site

2. set up an account at various archives:

http://www.webcitation.org/archive.php
http://www.archive-it.org/
http://webarchives.cdlib.org/p/projects

webcitation.org is probably the easiest to get started with since an
account is not required. Depending on where you are, there are probably
applicable national archives as well.

3. using TimeMaps is a nice way to see which archives have Mementos for a
particular URI, for example:

http://mementoproxy.cs.odu.edu/aggr/timemap/link/http://www.cnn.com

shows primarily IA for the early years, but it becomes more varied in the
later years.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Michael

----
Michael L. Nelson m...@cs.odu.edu http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/
Dept of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA 23529
+1 757 683 6393 +1 757 683 4900 (f)