Why is the y axis of the motif logo 2-bits?

Hanwenheng Liu

Jun 30, 2024, 12:56:31 AM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi, sorry if this isn't exactly a MEME suite question. I'm wondering why does the y axis of the motif logo max out at 2, not 1? I found a blog on how the PWM is calculated, which seems to imply that log2 is used for convenience during the transformation from the frequency matrix. Is that why?

Thanks!

cegrant

Jun 30, 2024, 1:06:00 AM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to MEME Suite Q&A
We're happy to answer MEME Suite related questions, but this is really a general bioinformatics question. Take a look at the paper that introduced logos: Sequence logos: a new way to display consensus sequences.