Question about variation in MEME-SEA results across gene sets

Megan Barkdull

Oct 23, 2023, 11:51:02 AM10/23/23
to MEME Suite Q&A
Dear all,

I have a question about the results I am getting from MEME-SEA.

I am checking for motif enrichment in the promoters of four sets of genes:
  1. Genes under positive selection in "foreground" species
  2. Genes under positive selection in "background" species
  3. Genes under relaxed selection in my species
  4. Genes under intensified selection in my species
So I am running SEA four times, each time with promoters for a set of genes as the target set, and all other promoter sequences as the control set. Between target and control sets, sequences should have essentially identical lengths, because I just selected regions 2000bp upstream of all genes as putative promoters.

I am concerned because, across runs, SEA detects very different numbers of matches to the same motif. For example, comparing the intensified selection results and the relaxed selection results, matches to nub are found in 0.8% and 0.2% of target and control sequences in that first analysis, but in 94.2% and 90.9% in the second analysis, even though both analyses use the same universe of promoter sequences. This seems biologically unlikely to me.

SEA is also calculating very different score thresholds between these two analyses (16.46 vs. 5.73), which I imagine contributes to this discrepancy. However, I am concerned that this indicates my results may not be super reliable.

I'm happy to share my code, inputs, or output files if that is helpful. Any thoughts or input are really appreciated!

Megan Barkdull

cegrant

Oct 27, 2023, 3:52:23 PM10/27/23
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Megan,

It would be super helpful if you could forward us examples of your SEA output. A good troubleshooting step would be to re-run your four sets of genes but allow SEA to use the default control sequences. By default SEA will use a shuffled version of the input sequences as the control, preserving both monomer and dimer frequencies. The problem with choosing your own control sequences is that the target and control sequences may have very different nucleotide frequencies. One issue that frequently crops up is that GC rich sequences may have spurious matches to GC rich motifs.

You can attach files by clicking on the paper clip icon next to the "Post message" button.

Megan Barkdull

Oct 27, 2023, 4:19:52 PM10/27/23
to ceg...@uw.edu, MEME Suite Q&A
Thanks for your response! Hopefully my inputs have attached correctly and everything is playing nicely with my organization's security settings. The commands that I ran are as follows:

`/programs/meme-5.5.2/bin/sea --p ./14_SEAenrichment/relaxedSelectionpromotersUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --m. /14_SEAenrichment/JASPAR2022_CORE_insects_non-redundant_pfms_meme.txt --n ./14_SEAenrichment/relaxedSelectionpromotersNotUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --oc ./14_SEAenrichment/relaxedSelection/`

`/programs/meme-5.5.2/bin/sea --p ./14_SEAenrichment/intensifiedSelectionpromotersUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --m ./14_SEAenrichment/JASPAR2022_CORE_insects_non-redundant_pfms_meme.txt --n ./14_SEAenrichment/intensifiedSelectionpromotersNotUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --oc ./14_SEAenrichment/intensifiedSelection/`

`/programs/meme-5.5.2/bin/sea --p ./14_SEAenrichment/foregroundOnlypromotersUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --m ./14_SEAenrichment/JASPAR2022_CORE_insects_non-redundant_pfms_meme.txt --n ./14_SEAenrichment/foregroundOnlypromotersNotUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --oc ./14_SEAenrichment/foregroundOnly/`

`/programs/meme-5.5.2/bin/sea --p ./14_SEAenrichment/backgroundOnlypromotersUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --m ./14_SEAenrichment/JASPAR2022_CORE_insects_non-redundant_pfms_meme.txt --n ./14_SEAenrichment/backgroundOnlypromotersNotUnderSelectionSequences.fasta --oc ./14_SEAenrichment/backgroundOnly/`

I'll try your troubleshooting suggestion as well- thank you!
_____________________________
Megan Barkdull

She/her
Ph.D Candidate | Moreau Lab
NSF Graduate Research Fellow
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Cornell University

cegrant

Nov 6, 2023, 11:00:32 PM11/6/23
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Megan, I'm afraid your files didn't seem to be attached. You can also email them to meme-...@uw.edu

César Martínez

Jun 13, 2024, 9:01:45 PMJun 13
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi! I have a similar issue on my data. Have you resolved finally the question?

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited by law. If this message has been received in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail and delete it.

DATA PROTECTION. We inform you that your personal data, including your e-mail address and data included in your email correspondence, are included in the ISGlobal Foundation files. Your personal data will be used for the purpose of contacting you and sending information on the activities of the above foundations. You can exercise your rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition by contacting the following address: lo...@isglobal.org. ISGlobal Privacy Policy at www.isglobal.org.

CONFIDENCIALIDAD. Este mensaje y sus anexos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener información confidencial, por lo que la utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida por la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

PROTECCIÓN DE DATOS. Sus datos de carácter personal utilizados en este envío, incluida su dirección de e-mail, forman parte de ficheros de titularidad de la Fundación ISGlobal  para cualquier finalidades de contacto, relación institucional y/o envío de información sobre sus actividades. Los datos que usted nos pueda facilitar contestando este correo quedarán incorporados en los correspondientes ficheros, autorizando el uso de su dirección de e-mail para las finalidades citadas. Puede ejercer los derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición dirigiéndose a lo...@isglobal.org . Política de privacidad en www.isglobal.org.

cegrant

Jun 13, 2024, 9:08:04 PMJun 13
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Caesar,

Please start your own question with details about the problem you are having. If possible forward us copies of your input data and the exact command you used. Issues tend to be quite specific to the exact input data and options used, so piggybacking on other folks' questions generally isn't very useful.