memcachedb as a message store?

Tom Chen

Mar 16, 2010, 4:53:51 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com
Just checking.

I am actually looking to use memcachedb in production message store with about 30 million records with about 300,000 hot stores in memory cache.

I was wondering if anyone had any good experience with such a use case?

Tom

Steve Chu

Mar 16, 2010, 10:38:15 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com
30 million is not a big scale for memcachedb. But good for you to
partition data in advance to fullfil the increment of data in future.
For example, hash the key into 4 or 8 daemons. MemcacheDB with large
memory(-m) has a good performance.

> --

Best Regards,

Steve Chu
http://stvchu.org

Brad Bendy

Mar 16, 2010, 10:40:09 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean hot stores? Ive had way more then 30 million records stored - and use it in production with that many records.

Tom Chen

Mar 16, 2010, 11:43:28 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad,

What I meant by hot stores is that the frequently accessed keys will all fit in memory. I expect about 300k objects to be accessed very frequently in one day.

What type of hardware are you using?

Tom

--
Tom Chen
Software Architect

Brad Bendy

Mar 16, 2010, 11:48:14 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are running our main store on a single Xeon 3000 2 ghz dual core box with dual 750gb sata drives in raid-1. It runs very well, our backup is a Core 2 Duo with same drives and both have 8gb of RAM.

During the day will read at about 1000 request a sec, when we update/load cache we hit as fast as we can, around 10k a sec or so.

Is anything necessary to have it hot-cache like your saying? Id like to look into that, we primary needed memcachedb because we need persistance if a reboot occurs and well we have more then 8gb of entries.

Its good stuff though, I love it!

--
Tom Chen
Software Architect

T...

Tom Chen

Mar 16, 2010, 11:54:04 PM3/16/10
to memca...@googlegroups.com
Our use case is a message store that is accessed by 500k unique clients. Each entry in memcachedb would represent folder on the client. We are using a pretty large memcache cluster, but it would be nice to have a more permanent storage.

Tom