network latency?

Joanne Sun

Sep 13, 2023, 1:27:18 PM9/13/23
to memcached
Hello,

We are switching to distributed cache cluster (memcached) which is located on intranet and managed by another team.

But the latency increased from ms to s.

It seems the network latency since the cache is not local to the application. This is concerning because we use the cache cluster to cache the ML models stored on network disk.

Wonder what I am missing here? Or I am doing some anti-pattern? What is the best practice of deployment of the distributed cache cluster? How to minimize the network latency?

Please advise. Thank you!

Joanne

Toru Maesaka

Sep 14, 2023, 4:36:26 PM9/14/23
to memc...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Request latency can be caused by so many different factors. I don't think any of us can provide definitive feedback based on the information you presented, but generally speaking, ms to s latency is very uncommon.

It would be very helpful if you could gather evidence of your network latency hypothesis. If the network is indeed saturated, I would then start questioning why it's saturated. Good first step would be to confirm if the network was always saturated, before memcached was even in the picture.

Cheers,
Toru

--

---