Platformer Tutorial - Error on Part 2: "level area01 not found"

mre...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2016, 7:56:12 PM11/25/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine
I'm going through http://melonjs.github.io/tutorial-platformer/ . I got to the end of Part 2 > "try it out", and both locally (running the local install using "grunt serve") as well as on a server, I'm getting stuck at the "melon JS" loading screen, and I'm getting a console error of "level area01 not found".

My tutorial game is at https://mrengy.github.io/pesky-squirrels/boilerplate-master/index.html , and the code is all viewable at https://github.com/mrengy/pesky-squirrels/tree/gh-pages/boilerplate-master .

I googled this error, and I found https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/melonjs/i4Cbr5R4L0U , so I tried moving the area01.tmx file into the same directory as area01_level_tiles.png , but that had no effect for me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Message has been deleted

mre...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2016, 7:58:42 PM11/25/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, mre...@gmail.com
P.S. I'm on Mac OS 10.11.3 (15D21), melonJS version 3.1.0, Chrome Version 54.0.2840.98 (64-bit)

Jay Oster

Nov 25, 2016, 8:01:33 PM11/25/16
to mel...@googlegroups.com
The TMX file should be in your ./data/map/ directory. The Grunt task for building the resources.js file checks only this specific location for maps: https://github.com/mrengy/pesky-squirrels/blob/gh-pages/boilerplate-master/Gruntfile.js#L142-L143

mike eng

Nov 25, 2016, 9:46:24 PM11/25/16
to mel...@googlegroups.com
That resolved it. Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine" group.

mike eng

Nov 25, 2016, 9:48:22 PM11/25/16
to mel...@googlegroups.com
Also, whoever is involved in updating the tutorial at http://melonjs.github.io/tutorial-platformer/ , you might want to clearly indicate the importance of placing the .tmx file in this directory. What the tutorial currently says is:

To finish, let's save our new map as "area01" under the "data" folder. We are done with the first step!

Jay Oster

Nov 25, 2016, 9:51:06 PM11/25/16
to mel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion! Will do.

That resolved it. Thanks!

melonJS

Nov 28, 2016, 9:16:31 PM11/28/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine