WTT: Way of The Temple Re-Release

Felipe Rybakovas

Oct 20, 2016, 8:21:41 AM10/20/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine
Hi Guys,

Long time ago i used MelonJS to build my undergraduates thesis at my
university. At that time i participated quite often into the forums to know
how to the that thing, because it was my first game project ever.

The project is a Online Multiplayer  fast paced Strategy Game. To get that
running, we use NodeJS with Socket.io for websockets... giving the game a
realtime gameplay.

The game works more or like an Age of Empires game. You need to build your village, raise an army, defeat your enemies and reach the temple.
You can get more information at http://rybakovas.me And we can discuss the game source code here if you want it too! =) When you get there, you need to stay dominating him for the stipulated time. Every other player will receive the announcement of this mark and a timer will appear in every screen. The player that dominate the temples and do not lose it, will be the winner of the round, resetting the game. If during this time, any other player surpass your defenses, he'll become the new temple lord and the timer will reset again. Recently, i worked on this game again to put a server online. You can access the game from this link : http://rybakovas.me/WTT

aaron.g...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2016, 9:05:31 AM10/20/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine
Looks pretty cool! Going to have to play it later, just got into work. But nicely done :)

Felipe Rybakovas

Oct 21, 2016, 11:53:21 AM10/21/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, aaron.g...@gmail.com
Thanks man!

Please, give your critics after play this!

aaron.g...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 9:35:21 PM10/21/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, aaron.g...@gmail.com
Gave it a try. Definitely needs some tweaks, but overall was pretty intuitive. I feel like the UI could be better to allow the player to be more effective. Think about how modern RTS games tend to provide unit panels and menus.

I did run into a bug when going to the world view, sending the squad to a few locations. I went back to my area, it was stuck. I went back to world, back to mine, it was unstuck, but once i tried to train another farmer, it froze up and i saw "error null" on the bottom of the screen.

Felipe Rybakovas

Oct 22, 2016, 10:05:53 PM10/22/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, aaron.g...@gmail.com
Humm the server for sure got some error and stoped working...

This is not a finished game... Was Just a project tô show some Idea! But thanks i'll Go after this.

Ps: restarted the server

melonJS

Oct 24, 2016, 4:17:58 AM10/24/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, aaron.g...@gmail.com
very nice and impressive project ! this one will definitely go into our gallery :)

As one of the main improvement, I was going to say that a fullscreen option would be great, and easy to add, but then I had the idea to check the source code to see on which version of melonJS it was based, and saw : ............ 0.9.8, that was released in July 2013 :):):) to be honest I would not be even sure where to start if I had to migrate such an old version, so better keep it that way especially if you do not plan any further evolution on it.

Anyway, once again, great project, and thank you for sharing it here !

Felipe Rybakovas

Oct 26, 2016, 11:41:41 PM10/26/16
to melonJS - A lightweight HTML5 game engine, aaron.g...@gmail.com
Hi! Thanks for the great feedback!

Indeed this project could be much better than it's now... But as i said,  it was a undergraduate thesis and we had more or less 7 months to do the entire job.... So i was with many ideas on my head, but we really do not had the time to implement all of them.

One of them would be a real time battle...

One of my ideas on this project is to made it open source for anybody who wants to work with it... But as you said, it's a very old version of the engine and i really dont know how much time it would consume to work on new versions... but, i can think about put this on GIT.

Again ,thanks for the feedback!